• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

comp freezes sometimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slowmike

the comp in my sig freezes when its monitor turns off from windows setting. the mouse lits up from its power save mode, the wake up key on keyboard doesnt help either. power led on, cd drives open and close. temps are 34*C or below for load.only thing is to restart it.
anyone know why?

i looked up in system info, the windows error reports said at 2:09pm that iexplore.exe had a error and a hang

tons of posibilities...
i think your OS gettin' trouble...

if u sure, OS updated and hardware r working well,
check disk 4 errors (don't forget check the "fix errors" box...)

if it's not work,
backup your important data, and reinstall the OS...

If you are still getting errors after running scandisk/fix, you might want to rebuild the registry....the way I do it (in win98) is when restarting, I hit f8 and choose comand prompt, and type "scanreg/fix" without quotes and that will rebuild your registry, or you can use a backup registry by typing "scanreg/restore" again without quotes, this should give you a few choices (dates) to restore from.

REMEMBER TO BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY 1ST!
hope this helps:)

I had this problem on one of my rigs, it stopped when I disabled the screensaver and just used the power off. I think it might be some interaction between the openGL drivers and the openGL screensavers and the manufacturer supplied graphics drivers.

regards,

Road Warrior

I'm with RoadWarrior. I have seen this on an A7V running on 98SE and a Geforce2 MX with the latest drivers. The bios is also up to date. My solution was to turn off the screen saver and monitor power down options.

Back