• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Notes on the Maxijet 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chief_Wiggum

Registered
I've had my watercooling setup going for a couple months now using the Maxijet 1200 pump.

Ever since I started it up for the first time, I've had an annoying vibrating sound that I couldn't get rid of.

The pump is mounted on rubber bushings to the case bottom using nylon hardware and the supplied sliding mounting bracket with the suction cups removed.

Well, I finally had it with the noise. I took the pump apart and performed the AquaVia mod. Except I mixed up some epoxy and applied it to the very tip of the impeller/magnet assembly.

After turning the machine back on, I was disappointed. Quieter, but the vibration was still there.

I then pressed the output housing and the pump body together tightly with my fingers. Noise gone! The problem for me seemed to be that my hoses were tweaking the output housing just slightly. This caused the impeller/shaft/output housing to come out of aligment and cause some noise. The way the housing attaches isn't very secure which is part of the problem. I just tweaked the hoses a bit to relieve the pressure on the housing. Pump is now near silent.

Next time I drain the system, I'm going to position the ouput housing where I want it, and epoxy it in place, sans o-ring. This should eliminate all problems and get rid of the o-ring as a potential leak spot.

Just thought I'd share.

I permanately attatched the impeller housing to the pump on two of four maxijets. Because they are so inexpensive, and replacing an impeller is almost as expensive as replacing the whole pump, I figure they are pretty much disposable. But it totally eliminates structural bending and potential leaks.

Because it's only been a month or so, I haven't done it on the remaining two maxijets. They aren't in systems yet anyway.

One thing I've found for reducing vibrations (in fans and pumps) are the cork thumtack boards they sell at wal*mart.

They are like 14"x14"x0.3" cork boards, in a 5 pack. You cut them with a razor cutter, and they don't shred even when you drill them or use a hole saw. They are very cheap, and work quite well. So cheap that I bought them without knowing they would work. Of course, I'm happy they did...

I just sealed up my impeller housing with a dab of silicone and mine has been running noise and leak free since I started it a week ago.

Hmmm- good ideas!
I got a Maxi Jet a while back and had the same vibration issues; my quick solution was using some packing foam I had laying around to make a seat to reduce the vibration traveling through the case....but it is neither an attractive or elegant solution.

Whn I get my next wb I think I will use your ideas for the pump.

Thanks ;)

Note the egg-crate type foam under the mounting bracket...completely silent.

water6.JPG

Back