• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

85F room temp: water or air cool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jo-Jo

let's say the room temperature is around 85F - 90F, which would do a better job of keeping the cpu and/or overall system cooler, air or water?

my computer and montior generate way to much heat. in the winter time i was able to keep my windows open with out the heat on, in nj. yup my pc gets really hot. now, it now economical to cool the entire house when only one room, my room needs the cooling. so i deceided to get a small window a/c.

my sony g500 puts out way too much heat and haven't upgraded to cooler running intel yet.

does anyone here use antec's true power psu's? i just exchanged a true330 for a true430, and is still just as hot, with a 1600 fan rpm. i can feel the heat onthe top of my case-cooler master710. i need a better cooling soultion. please help with advise.

tia

In just about all cases, water would keep the cpu and the whole system cooler. What heatsink are you using right now, and what are your current temps? Maybe simply upgrading to higher-end air cooling would suffice.

2100+ getting hotter then was when i first got it - idles in he 50's loads ups 64 when playing warcraft3. alpha pep66 side thrower is the old air cooler i used with my previous chip(1.2c)

i only upgraded the cpu because it was really cheap and it make my upgraded video card humm better then the 1.2 did. the next setup wil make it humm even more...

planning on getting an intel this summer, i heard they aren't as hot. amd's from around the 900mhz and abive get really really hot. i think that's the only draw back with amd. i can't stand hot cpu's.

i don't think that warcraft 3 can really stress a cpu how does it load like 15c more do u have an asus motherboard or abit they tend to read the degrees astronomically higher

Regardless of the room temperature, water cooling will keep your system cooler. Remember that while water cools your components, it is air that cools your radiator/heatercore, which in tern cools your water. So remember that even though water is cooling your computer, the ambient air temperature still affects your thermal results with water cooling.

The benefit of watercooling is that the water removes the heat from the CPU a LOT more efficiently than a regular air-cooled heatsink. The system still uses air to remove heat from the system, but this is now the duty of the heater core, which offers a lot more surface area for the heat to be transfered to the air & out of the system.

Water cooling could help, as could high end air cooling such as the SLK series from Thermalright.

But if you are having a lot of trouble with hot power supplies the real issue may be your case temp: what does it typically run?

A heatsink (unless ducted, which is yet another option...) has to use the air inside the case to cool the cpu; if that air is hot to begin with, your cpu will remain that much higher.
Example:
Ambient 75f
case 85f
cpu 95f

Push the ambient to 85f-
case 95f
cpu 105f

Which is getting pretty hot.
If your case IS hot take off the side panel/cover and run it for a while: if it runs substantially cooler, then you KNOW you have bad case cooling.

Air cooling has gotten to the point where it is pretty competitive with water cooling although louder at the same performance levels, so the choice is really up to you: water cool or develop a complete air cooling solution;)

Jo-Jo said:

does anyone here use antec's true power psu's? i just exchanged a true330 for a true430, and is still just as hot, with a 1600 fan rpm. i can feel the heat onthe top of my case-cooler master710. i need a better cooling soultion. please help with advise.

I'm using the TruePower 550, and the air it's exhausting, while warm, is not that hot. Perhaps you have more components in your system than I do and are putting a larger load on your PSU. Regardless of that, your PSU shouldn't warming the air in your case all that much. I suppose you could mount your PSU externally, which would eliminate the problem, although it would probably look ugly. :(

I'm with RD on this one: I'd advise taking off your side panel and seeing if your temperatures drop substantially, before anything else.

You'll not find any air cooling solution that copes well once you pass 26.666C that one can stand. Now add 10C for a case temp and your cooling has to start off at 36.666C at least...

Bite the bullet and go water. Only way.

FYI Only use temps in C

Toysrme said:
You'll not find any air cooling solution that copes well once you pass 26.666C that one can stand. Now add 10C for a case temp and your cooling has to start off at 36.666C at least...

What? What's the significance of 26.666°C Toysrme?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regardless of whether he goes with air cooling or water cooling, he's not going to achieve decent thermal results (by most overclockers' standards) if his room temperature is 85F - 90F. Water cooling will keep your computer running cooler than air cooling will Jo-Jo, but with room temperatures that high, I think you're going to have a hard time keeping your system temps down.

tio said:

What? What's the significance of 26.666°C Toysrme?

Guessing, but ~27 degrees C is about 65 degrees F if i recall (too lazy to do the conversion) and generally considered room temperature.

Blind Tree Frog said:
Guessing, but ~27 degrees C is about 65 degrees F if i recall (too lazy to do the conversion) and generally considered room temperature.

Not quite.

Standard comfortable room temperature is considered to be 21-22C

To get C from F, subtract 32 from F and divide by 1.8

65F = (65-32)/1.8 = 18.3C
27C = 27 * 1.8 + 32 = 80.6F

Back