• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cable Modem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cbakey

My Neighbor has a cable modem and it works great for him, but i just got one and it ownt ping to the ISP server, the power light comes on and than the recive light will flash and thats it, I ran through the software that it came with, My computer also dected it as a 100mb connection, I am going to try this modem at my neighbors tomarrow, but is there anything else that i could try in the mean time?

If you got it from the ISP then call and have them fix it, They will probably walk you through it on the phone. If you purchased it from an individual or a store then you will still have to contact the ISP so that they can configure the modem to work on their network ie mac address of the modem. Basically, I would say you need to call them and let them(ISP) do their job. I am assuming you do have the cable internet service through the ISP because it wont connect if they dont allow it first, :D

Tread

hmm here is the recap:
--[problem]-------------
The cable modem wont ping the ISP??
----------------------------

So can you connect internet?? I think you cant cause if you cant ping ISP that you dont have connection to them.

When you call ping you have requested time out??

Explain problem in details may help, but for now i think the cable modem doesnt work/ not compatible.
Keep us update....
MameXP,

The cable modem just waits for a return from the ISP and there is none, they say that the cable internet services is turned on at there end and totry it from someone elses house to see if it works, I think that it is the modem cause i messed with it for two hours now and it still dosent want to do anything. I am still using my 56k connection for now.

what modem is it?

try going to 192.168.100.1 in IE and looking for some numbers like downstream power, upstream power, signal to noise ratio. also if it has a log section paste that here.

hmm, usually you dont need to install the software, just make sure you computer knows that it has a NIC, and tell the NIC to automaticly obtain an IP, and thats all that sdhould be needed for you internet to work.

Them asking you to try it at another persons house seem weird because cable modems needs a unique mac address and are simply not plug and play compatible 95 percent of the time. If even that.

If they told you this, then they are simply lazy and I would call them back and as tread70 said tell them to do their job.

Any reputable cable internet access company can tell you if everything is working on their side they should be able to connect to your modem & tell you straight out if your modem is malfunctioning.

Even when my service is down Cox Cable can still communicate with my cable modem and give me a full diagnostics of my modem.

Your computer is indicating a 100mb connection between your computer and the modem, not from your modem to the internet.

Last edited:
I've had this problem off and on since I got cable internet in August. Sometimes I have to shut down the computer while other times I have to reset the modem. There is a little pin hole on the back where you can stick a paper clip in. Sometimes the technicians have to come and they mess around with things under teh house and at the cable box and they are always able to get it started again. I still don't really know the problem but I guess it could be the modem. It's a mystery to me.

I say call them back ask them to check the line signal to the house. I had similiar problems with the cable going out and the modem losing its connection with the server or substation. They ended up having to add a signal booster to the house because the signal was low. If it is low , dont let them tell you to go to Radio Shack and purchase a booster as most of those only boost/and allow data to move in one direction (boosting only the signal coming in) but will not allow communication going back out to the servers, It would be a waste of money. You are paying for a service they should provide you with a strong enough signal to be able to use the service. Most of the techs that came out on my house wouldnt put one on ; not sure if they get paid to go that extra mile or not but I finally had one that had one and but it on for free because I wasnt going to pay for one since it was their signal that was weak. I hope this helps.

Tread

You need to have the cable ISP provision the modem. They need your serial # and mac address of the modem. It won't work at someone else's house either.

-Bobby

The cable single at my house it messed up and next tuesday a cable tech is going to come oput and fix it. I took it over to my neighbors house and it connected to the Comcast server and it created a log in there database, but we could surf the web with it cause of the MAC address, but the modem dose work, just not at my house.

Back