• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant share files 'server service is not started'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
EDIT: Problem solved with a format and fresh install of XP

Windows XP, I had to repair this installation due to a video driver error. I dont want to have to reinstall again to fix this new problem.

Everytime I try to share a folder I get this error message.

errorx.JPG

I did disable things with the prior install of XP. I had this error for a few months now so I do not remember if I had redisabled these same things. So any idea what I broke?

Last edited:
You need to start the 'server' service.

Start/Run/ type services.msc and hit enter.
Scroll down to "Server" service, and set it to Automatic startup.

Then try making the share again.

That service was set to automatic. It was stopped and when I tried to start it manually I got this error:

erro126.JPG

here are some screenies of the properties:

serverproperties1.JPG

serverproperties2.JPG

serverproperties3.JPG

I have no idea. Check the event log, maybe that will have a little more insight on why the service is failing.

You may end up having to format/reinstall to fix this..

i had the EXACT same error before... i kinda have an idea on how to fix it - sorry for the HUGE post

ok... i have a couple of solutions...

solution#1: run the network wizard again on both of your computers... don't forget to CROSS YOUR FINGERS (ok, this solution sucks)

solution #2: make sure that both of your computers are on the same network... (not the network name)... let me explain:

i am assuming you have more than one computer... well, IF they have two different external IP's, make sure that the two ip's are on the same network (figure out the network and the host bits by using the subnet mask... yea, go grab a piece of paper and a pen) ... for example, back when i used 2 external ip's, sometimes one came in the 142.x.x.x range, while the other one came up in the 64.x.x.x range... (OBVIOUSLY NOT the same network) that's when i ran into problems... in fact, the two computers couldn't even ping each other AT ALL... (obviously filesharing was a no-go) ---- if its possible for your computers to get two differnet ips go to solution#3

solution#3: use a router to get only one external IP... if you don't feel like buying or setting one up, go to solution#4

solution#4: ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
Make sure you have TWO ethernet connections in one computer, and use ICS (start it through the network wizard). ICS will allow you to get only ONE external IP (one ethernet card) and you'll have an internal network (192.168.0.x) on the other ethernet card... basically your "primary" computer will be a a DHCP server and assign an internal ip to the other computer (use a crossover cable for a direct connection, or a hub/switch)... [disadvantage] when you turn off your primary computer you'll lose the internet on all connected through it [/disadvantage] but i think its well worth it {i have had this setup for about 2 months now, and i have never had a problem - i also had a 10 base hub before... and now my connection between computers is 100 base}

you're a smart guy... you can figure out ICS... one pointer: in your network connection property click "share this connection" on the one that's connected to the internet, and NOT the other one <-- had me wondering for a while

********** final comments ************
even if your computers don't get 2 external ip's its still better (IMO) to have an internal network so go to sol'n #3 or #4

i really hope this helps you (cuz it took a long time to write)... but i don't know whether you want to redesign your whole network... although give #3 or #4 a shot

best of luck,
-Fil

1. I did many times no luck :(

2. I should have added that both computers are linked to the same switch which is connected to the same router.

3. see #2

4. see #2

Sorry that you took so long to write something up that didnt help :( I appreciate it. I am pretty sure that is one computer that is having issues. Lemme explain a bit more in depth:

Computer 1 has the problem
Computer 2 is fine
Computer 3 is fine

Computer 1 can access both 2 and 3
Computers 2 and 3 can access eachother
Computers 2 and 3 cannot access Computer 1

:(

I think I will just wipe the HD and start over :( I was hoping to fix it just for a challenge.

stompah said:
1. I did many times no luck :(

I think I will just wipe the HD and start over :( I was hoping to fix it just for a challenge.

looks like the install had been corrupted. but if you hvent formatted already, I would check event viewer and check the application and system logs for errors relating to services not being able to start.

su root said:
Anything in the event log?
I forgot to ask how? I am transferring files for a system upgrade/format. So dont rack you brain too much anymore.

stompah said:
I forgot to ask how? I am transferring files for a system upgrade/format. So dont rack you brain too much anymore.

Right-click MY Computer Icon>Manage
in window its
Computer Management (Local)>System Tools>Event Viewer

stompah said:
ty

eventlog1.JPG
Lots of those.

Id say its time for a reinstall. :) dont know how to fix that. and there is no system file checker type command in XP like there is in 2K tomy knowledge so its time for the fdisk aproach(sp? o_O)

Yeah, when services start to corrupt, it's time to reinstall.

Althought I havn't used it, I am pretty sure that XP has a system file checker.. start/run sfc. I have no idea if it would fix it or not.

su root said:
Yeah, when services start to corrupt, it's time to reinstall.

Althought I havn't used it, I am pretty sure that XP has a system file checker.. start/run sfc. I have no idea if it would fix it or not.

I would think so too, but M$ knowledge base on WinXP has no reference to something like that (cxhecked before posting last reply) Though I have seen something like it but cant remember the command. But either way. since this happened in the first place when you used the disc to repair the install right? I wouldn't want to try using the utilities to fix it again. I would backup whatever data you can/need and Fdisk it completely.

Back