• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Puzzling CPU & Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ununquadium114

Disabled
I've come to the conclusion that I have a good overclocking chip, but this latest development has confused me:

My system is pretty stable @ 3.62. Yesterday I flashed to the newest beto bios, 1007.013. I then pushed up my fsb one more. Sure enough it wasn't stable. Well after a freeze, I go & put the VCore on auto. I'm thinking its gonna be something high, & it boots @ 1.552, less than 1.675 or 1.7 (I changed it periodically) I had it at. Thinking its going to freeze any minute I do a few things - no freeze. I go to run Prime95 & it doesn't even run 1 test. Still suprised after no freeeze, I played Rise of Nations, a game that has restarted my system on me many times after I tried to oc to much. I played the game with AIM & Soulseek running for about an hour with no problems! Does Prime95 need a high voltage or something? I would post pics but I cant. Im confused:confused:

sorry keep forgetting, timings are sedated, 1 512 Corsair XMS PC2700 2.5-4-4-8 @ 372.2 Mhz

Prime 95 will take a stable system and take it to its knees. If your system is stable, then it is stable. Don't let one program get you bent out of shape, use it as a guide.

The auto setting uses the CPU default, thats why it booted at 1.552V. You were probably unstable at the higher voltages b/c of too much heat. Although 1.552V @ 3.62 is a little fishy. what kind of cooling are you running. Thats an amazing O/C if I am reading this right.

slk800 with vantec tornado i would post pics, but i cant. I agree with you about Prime95, I am beginning to use it less & less

let me get this str8, at 1.55v is prime stable or not? the pc seems to game and stuff but doesnt prime at 1.55v?

yeah & in the past when ive put it to high, rise of nations has restarted almost immediatly

so is this bios better or worse then you old bios? i find it hard to belive it games but doesnt prime for very long. what game were you playing? if my pc cant prime for 8+hrs i turn the clock down.

Ununquadium114 said:
yeah & in the past when ive put it to high, rise of nations has restarted almost immediatly

Then its probably heat or your PSU is having troubles keeping up. I would find another program to run @ 1.55V. Such as 3dmark or a seti.

with aim running & soulseek, i ran 3dmark03. it ran all the tests & promptly froze returning to the desktop after running them all. still not quite sure. do you really think it could be the psu? also, should i try disabling serial ports

Serial ports won't do anything. A real stress test would be to loop 3dmark for about 2 hours. If it froze, you probably are not 100% stable and should increase to 1.6V. the only way to know if its your PSU is to monitor the voltages through ASUS probe.

Ec]-[oMaN said:
i could care less about prime95 if you can play games and surf the net all day without a reboot its stable to me,screw prime
but he didnt say it will play all day. im sure if he doesnt pass prime it will freeze on him sooner or later

there ya go echoman! i agree. i bumped the vcore up to 1.6 & upped the fsb to 280. i folded at 60% for about an hour & it was stable. gonna do some more gaming...

Ec]-[oMaN said:
i could care less about prime95 if you can play games and surf the net all day without a reboot its stable to me,screw prime

I hope you don't run seti or fold....

if you do, just how many errors do do think your sending in?

heck, I can surf the web at 200fsb with my cpu...
but it's not stable at much else.

mica

Back