• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

difference between water and cpu temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

I'm curious what temps you all were getting and at what temp the water is in your system. On the system in sig I finally got a temp probe and checked the water and to my amazement it's 100F!! I guess that explains my proc temps ;) I just want to know what the average difference is of you machines. Thank you.

Completely depends on where you take the temp from in the loop.

Depending on the load your cooling it could be anywhere between 5C and 15C

ok my temp was taken from the T fitting which is AFTER the two procs and video card so that's hottest it's going to get.

OK so what's your point?

It dosen't matter how hot it is so long as it's stable and you're happy.

Oh and use C from now on please...

The problem , toysrme, is the system is not completely stable. It does occasionally lock up. What i'm tryin to figure out is the efficiency (sp?) of the system and trying to get some set of numbers that directly relate to one another, for example, water-cpu temperature given "X" block.

Water temp is 37C btw...is that better now?

Hey chaps, calm down - sound's like it's your temps that need cooling as well as the cpu's!! Well, in the spirit of freindly contribution, I'm running a homemade block, maze style, an eheim1250, and a thermochill 3x120mm fan rad, and get water temps of 24 - 26C, and CPU temps between 35 and 39C. I don't think my block is mounted well though, as I'm currently re-designing the hold down for it. I think I've seen it posted that 4.5C is about the best cpu core - water temp difference that you can realistically hope for.

thank you frostmesiter. Any other claims to help back this up? I realize the temps need to drop as well and when I fianlly get a new case i'll room for better radiator.
specs on system are :2xSwiftech mcw5000A's, 1xmcw50 for radeon, maxijet 1200, Black ice pro radiator with panaflo L1A 120mm, 1/2 clearflex tubing.

kaltag said:
The problem , toysrme, is the system is not completely stable. It does occasionally lock up. What i'm tryin to figure out is the efficiency (sp?) of the system and trying to get some set of numbers that directly relate to one another, for example, water-cpu temperature given "X" block.

Water temp is 37C btw...is that better now?

Well considering some people get temps lower than that on their Proc it probably isn't, of course your room temp could help us decide...

frostmeister said:
Doh! Ambient temps... Yeah, mine's about 20 - 22C at the moment.

Your temps seem much more like what should be expected, just above ambient water and low CPU...

kaltag, if your ambient temps are pretty low also (20ish) you might need a better rad.

Well thats not too high... my guess is your radiator isn't doing its job too well. Water temps 10C higher than room temps your room temp isn't too great as far as I know, what rad and fans do you have?

Ive got the same rad and the same waterblock, im only cooling my cpu and ive got FAR LOWER temps then you do... do you have any kinks in your hose?

As mentioned above it's the black ice pro with panaflo L1A @ 12V. Right now I simply don't have room for anything larger than the black ice pro, but that will be cured soon enough :D MaxiKana, keep in mind i'm cooling two procs and radeon 9700 before passing judgement too soon. Thank you all.

kaltag said:
As mentioned above it's the black ice pro with panaflo L1A @ 12V. Right now I simply don't have room for anything larger than the black ice pro, but that will be cured soon enough :D MaxiKana, keep in mind i'm cooling two procs and radeon 9700 before passing judgement too soon. Thank you all.

Well for dual procs that actualy might not be too bad, but I would get a better rad when you can and make sure you have good flow (so a good pump) :D

These are my temps (Panaflo M1A fan on rad at 6.5V and flowrate of 4.40 liter/minute):

Ambient=24.5°C, idle
mbm5.3-idle.jpg

Ambient=24.5°C, load
mbm5.3-load.jpg

Difference in coolant temp is about 1°C between fan at full speed (12V) and fan at minimum speed (6.5V).

CD :)

I have a Black Ice Pro and also a custom made heatercore. My custom made heatercore dimension is 8"x7"x2.5" with 3pass 3 row design and total of 42 flat tubes.

I'm using DDM3 with Eheim 1048 and a selfmade reservoir.

I'm using Xaser II 5000A probe touching the core of my cpu and I put Icute temp sensor inside the reservoir to read the water temp.I'm using Microlife digital thermometer to take my room temp.

I'm did a test for both BIP and my HC.

Here the system that I use

MSI 6738 Ver 1.0
AXP Tbreb B 1700+ DL3TC running 1533Mhz at 1.5V estimated Power = 51W
Geforce4 MX440 64Meg
2 x 256Meg DDR400 Kingston Value RAM
1 x 20Gig Seagate HDD
1 x 40Gig Maxtor HDD
Asus 16X DVD
TDK 48/24/48 CDRW
WinXP Pro SP1
Thermaltake Xaser II Case

I'm using Prime 95 to put load on the cpu

All the temp taken after 4hrs running. Here's what I got

Custom made HC
Room temp:31.7C

Idle : 33.1C
Water Temp : 32.1C

Load: 37.2C
Water Temp : 36.3C
Delta : 5.5C
C/W : 0.108

BIP
Room temp : 32.3C

Idle : 37.1C
Water Temp : 33.8C

Load : 43.4C
Water Temp : 35.6C
Delta : 11.1C
C/W : 0.217

I'm getting Delta 5C for my custom made heatercore at room temp 31 - 33C and for BIP I'm getting 11C for the same range of room temp. I think BIP is not doing a good job at all.

Back