• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ayoung

Dual Intel P Pro 200mhz w/ 256k cache

" " 512k " "

or

Dual P2 266mhz

I would think the P2, but the P Pro with 512 also are (were) pretty fast.

dunno. before my time (with computers)

my grandfather still has his gateway p pro 200 though. man that was FAST back in the day. :)

If i remember correctly (i'm not sure) but Pentium 2 was the first to have MMX extensions. It makes a small difference, but not much..

I'm pretty sure the P2's will be faster.

there was a p 166 with mmx i'm pretty sure.

i remember hearing about it long long ago. :)

" " 512k " "

or

Dual P2 266mhz

I would think the P2, but the P Pro with 512 also are (were) pretty fast.

it depends on what you want to do with it.....if for a server then the pro with the larger cache will be better...but if you want to game or regular use the mmx and the higher clock speed will likely be faster...

ayoung said:

" " 512k " "

So are you talking about a 256KB PPro or a 512K one?

Pentium Pros came with 256K, 512K, or 1MB L2 caches. The budget-oriented 60fsb models (150 and 180MHz) came with 256K only, and the 166MHz ones were all 512K and the top-dog 200MHz models came with 256K, 512K, or 1MB.

The core of a P2 and a pentium pro (and P3 for that matter) are essentially the same thing. The performance issues on 16 bit code were addressed in the P2 redesign though. When running 32bit OS's a Pro and a P2 act very much alike.

The biggest difference is in the L2. The Pentium Pro had it's L2 on chip, on a second die beside the core in a dual cavity package. It ran at full core speed. All P2's have the L2 off chip, and run it at half core speed. So if your application is responsive to the L2 cache, a pro can be faster.

For the majority of tasks though I think the clock speed of the P2 will win out. SETI may go faster on the pro, but most applications most users here are familiar with will respond to the clock speed of the P2. Like anything else in PCs, its just a matter of application.

MMX was largely useless, it affects the results in very few applications for which these processors are suitable.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Whats faster?

So are you talking about a 256KB PPro or a 512K one?

Pentium Pros came with 256K, 512K, or 1MB L2 caches. The budget-oriented 60fsb models (150 and 180MHz) came with 256K only, and the 166MHz ones were all 512K and the top-dog 200MHz models came with 256K, 512K, or 1MB.

The core of a P2 and a pentium pro (and P3 for that matter) are essentially the same thing. The performance issues on 16 bit code where adressed in the P2 redesign though. When running 32bit OS's a Pro and a P2 act very much alike.

The biggest difference is in the L2. The Pentium Pro had it's L2 on chip, on a second die beside the core in a dual cavity package. It ran at full core speed. All P2's have the L2 off chip, and run it at half core speed. So if your application is responsive to the L2 cache, a pro can be faster.

For the majority of tasks though I think the clock speed of the P2 will win out. SETI may go faster on the pro, but most applications most users here are familiar with will respond to the clock speed of the P2. Like anything else in PCs, its just a matter of application.

MMX was largely useless, it affects the results in very few applications for which these processors are suitable.

my sentiments exactly....

i didn't know the ppro had the cache on die at full speed, though...

cache sensitive programs would really benefit from the 512 or especially the 1mb version of the pro...

Re: Re: Re: Whats faster?

dustybyrd said:

my sentiments exactly....

i didn't know the ppro had the cache on die at full speed, though...

cache sensitive programs would really benefit from the 512 or especially the 1mb version of the pro...
The 1MB cache versions are still hella expensive.

Max is right about the MMX, That first arrived on the P-1 166. They made both 166 and 200 P-1 classic and MMX. I believe the P-1 233 was only made in the MMX flavor. All P-IIs had MMX.

That is correct, but MMX was just hype in any event. The pentium MMX's ran faster because Intel doubled the size of the L1 cache at the same time they inplemented it. MMX was another gimmick intended to make the AMD platform look outdated technologically, as the K6 had already hit the scene (with better performance than the pre-MMX pentiums). The larger L1 cache did equalize things though.

The 233 was indeed only available in the MMX flavor. I have one sitting right here. The 166 and 200MMXs where great overclockers, I had 166s that ran 250MHz and 200s that ran 300MHz with little effort.

Back