• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500 or XP 2100?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nymph

Would a barton 2500 that can overclock to 2300mhz outperform an XP 2100 overclocked to 2400mhz? Both being in exact same nforce2 based systems....

nYmph

Due to the difference in L2 cache size (512 KB vs 256 KB), it depends on the particular applicatons. It can be 0% or 1% or 2% or 5% or 8% or 10%, ... depends on the L2 cache usage by a particular program.

Just for CPU raw power, the one running at higher clock has an advantage. The general rule of thumb I use is the 512 KB bigger cache has an average 5% system performance advantage. So a 2300 MHz Barton roughly ties a 2100+ at 2300 (1.05) = 2415 MHz. So they are a tie.

If I have to make a decision to buy between the two, I'd buy a Barton since it probably has a little bit more lasting value due to its cache size. Price wise is not much different. And hopefully can get a good stepping that can get to 2.4 GHz on air.

I'm glad I went with the Barton. My SETI WU's are grateful as well. (Went from 4hr10min to 3hr 5min) SOLEY because of that cache (near as I can gather) ^_^

Thank you for the replys. That was the info I wanted, and the few extra bucks for the barton would be worth it for me as well.

nYmph

not to mention it is really really hard to get a 2100 to 2400 on air cooling..... you need to be real lucky stepping wise...

Emericana said:
not to mention it is really really hard to get a 2100 to 2400 on air cooling..... you need to be real lucky stepping wise...

I'm probably one of the luckiest ones then :)
No problem running everyday @ 2524mhz on air.

But if given the choice between buying a barton 2500 or XP2100 today, I would go w/ the barton for reasons already explained in previous respponses.

I had the same decision to make, 2100 or 2500? The latest steppings of the 2500 seem to be good overclockers so I just ordered the Abit NF7-S and 2500 from Newegg. With my water cooling setup and a bit of luck I hope to see 2.5Ghz.

maxima88 said:

I'm probably one of the luckiest ones then :)
No problem running everyday @ 2524mhz on air.

But if given the choice between buying a barton 2500 or XP2100 today, I would go w/ the barton for reasons already explained in previous respponses.

FYI, I just did some analysis on summer ambient temperature rise.
Impact of higher ambient temperature on CPU clock frequency

For a good HSF such as SK7/SLK-800U and high CFM fan (which I think you have):

At around 2.5 - 2.6 GHz oc on air,

A 2 C rise in ambient system temp will lower the CPU clock by 2.1%. So at 2.5 GHz overclocking, it is about 53 MHz lower in CPU clock.

A 5 C rise in ambient system temp will lower the max active power by about -5/0.23 = - 21.7 W, which is 15.8% lower in active power. And it equates to about 15.8%/3 = 5.3% lower in CPU clock. A 5 C rise in ambient system temp will lower the CPU clock by 5.3%. So at 2.5 GHz overclocking, it is about 132 MHz lower in CPU clock.

Do you see similar behaviour from laster winter to now?

hitechjb1 said:

Do you see similar behaviour from laster winter to now?

It was obviously a great help with overclocking during the winter with the temps here in the east coast dropping down to the freezing point. Certainly helped me a lot just by cracking the windows to my study room a tiny bit to let the winter air air.

But even during summer, with central a/c I keep the temp in my house at around 67F anyway, and with 120mm and 80mm fans on my side cover, that helps me keep my cpu temps down.

Last edited:
not Hijacking the thread or anything...but what are some Raw MHZ's you guys seen on the 2500 Barton? just wanted to know

Back