• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PowerColor ATI? Is it real ATI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlush

Hey
I'm looking to buy a new card, the 9700 pro is really looking nice....
I've seen a few different versions out there, sapphire, PowerColor, the actual ATI....what's the difference in these cards? All I can see is the box...Is it like MSI and an ASUS geforce card? Please explain to me, and let me know if its worth buying powercolor...

I can't seem to find an ATI radeon for less than 285.... any help on that either

I think the powercolor 9700np is great
the pro is more expensive but probably has better memory
I am told that the powercolor 9700 cards are made in the Sapphire factory so they should be the same (if they arn't broad binned on performance). Find the cheapest one I reckon. It'll be fast whether u end up oc or not.

I doubt the 9700np is under US$205 anywhere yet

I have tested a PoworColor 9700 Pro before... 2.8ns ram..it did well and got to like 380/355.. I have heard alot of bad crap about them though, they could be changing... havent heard anything bad in a while except people saying stay away.

four4875 said:
why not get a NP and flash it to pro? save the $$$

well I'm deciding I probably won't get a 9700np because I have no experience flashing bioses or anything like that. I'm pretty new to the whole overclocking style, I was even afraid to overclock my 1700+ b the other day, but that turned out ok.

If you don't mind, please let me know what's involved in flashing the bios and stuff, would it be easy enough for me to do?

four4875 said:
why not get a NP and flash it to pro? save the $$$

if you do this you should get a non pro with the faster memory. since most pros come with better memory than non pros you'd need to have the same speed memory, at least 3.3ns i beleive 2.8 would be the most desirable. from what i'm told the sapphire no pros use 2.8ns memory making them underclocked pros basically. where some companies are using 3.6ns memory in their non pros which means that the stock memory speed is about at the roof. deathstar has a 3.6ns non pro flashed to pro. he has all the luck when it comes to overclocking though.

jlush said:
If you don't mind, please let me know what's involved in flashing the bios and stuff, would it be easy enough for me to do?

take a look at the sticky, just use flashrom instead of atiflash if your card is FIC or Gigabyte, its completely secure to do, even if you do a bad flash its reversible

Back