• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WB Solder problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zaz

Registered
I am attempting to solder my waterblock together. It's made of two plates of 3/8" copper and even though I am using MAPP/MPS gas and a high output swirl flame torch tip I cannot for the life of me seem to get the copper hot enough to get the solder to melt. Anyone got any ideas?

If you have or know someone who has an old coil burner electric stove, then you can use that. I'd also use a propane torch for the top layer. Between the two, you should be set. Perhaps you can use a lower melting point solder too.

Thanks. I actually figured it out. Turns out the vice i was using to hold the thing conducted too much of the heat away so it never reached the melting point. Clamped a smaller bit and it only took 5 minutes

I always use a blowtorch - only a smallish one, butane/propane type thing, and put the block on small rests usualy made out of coathanger wire, and rest the whole thing on a glassfibre non-heat conductive mat. That way, the heat goes into the block, not the surroundings. It will also cool a bit quicker as well.

Back