Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

stuck keys...help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 03:01 PM Thread Starter   #1
lazysmartperson
Registered

stuck keys...help

i can't play GTAIII or this other japanese game anymore cause in the game...and only in the game...the computer registers certain keys as pressed...i've switched keyboards...rebooted...

in GTAIII the "W" and the "D" keys are perpetually down...(he just keeps walking forward-right!)

although i have no problems with other games such as Counter-Strike which also uses the "W" and the "D" keys

does anybody have an idea?
lazysmartperson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-03, 04:35 PM   #2
AcEmAsTr

W - forward
A - Left
S - Back
D - Right
AcEmAsTr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-14-03, 09:04 PM Thread Starter   #3
lazysmartperson
Registered

was my question too confusing?

I"m saying that in the game...the computer thinks that certain keys are pressed down when i am not pressing them down...

-sarcasm-
thank you so very much acemastr for teaching me the keys...now i can finally play now that i know how to move
-end sarcasm-
Old 06-14-03, 09:32 PM   #4
JigPu
Inactive Pokémon Moderator

10 Year Badge

I would try looking though the settings for the game, though I honestly don't think you'll find much of anything there.

Also, see if there might be some program running that could be 'pushing' those keys. Only problem with that theory is that it should also be open while playing other games... But it's worth a shot I guess...

This is a weird problem... Sorry if I can't help you much with it
JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-15-03, 04:07 AM   #5
Carnil

A couple of things you might try:
1) Press the "stuck" key while in the game
2) Alt+TAB out of the game, hold down one of the "stuck" keys, use the mouse to switch back to the game, and release the key.

The second trick will send the program a "key has been released" message without first sending it a "key pressed" message.
Carnil is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-15-03, 01:48 PM Thread Starter   #6
lazysmartperson
Registered

nope that doesn't work...thanks though carnil
Old 06-16-03, 04:20 AM   #7
TidyBowl

can you remap the keys in that game.

also in some games if you select joystick it will still allow keyboard entry -- this might helpt -- who knows.

good luck

T
TidyBowl is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-17-03, 02:00 AM Thread Starter   #8
lazysmartperson
Registered

oh my god tidybowl you are my savior!...i am forever indebted to you!

i'm so happy i'm using smilies!

i had a n64 controller usb adapter...but my friend took back the n64 controller...

i just went to device manager and uninstalled it...voila!

rock on tidybowl

oh...and thanks to all the other's who contributed to this thread

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.