• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant Install Windows XP please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fernis

Hey guys, I just put together a new box and I can't get Windows XP Pro to finish installing. My hardware consists of Asus A7n8x Deluxe rev 2.00 1003 bios (all factory setting), Athlon Xp 2500 Barton retail, 1 stick of Corsair XMS cmx 512mb 3200 C2 installed in slot 1, ATI Radeon 9500np 128mb red board gold heatsink with L shaped 3.3 infineon ram, WD 800JB special edition HD, Lite-on cdrw, all IDE cables are antec round cables. PC Power and Cooling 350 atx turbo cool in a chieftec case. All hardware is in a completely stock configuration and hasn't been modified in any way. After doing a completely new format on the hd windows setup tries to copy files to the windows installation folder but at various points fails while trying to install various files, most of the time around 30 percent completed or so.

This is the message it gives me when it fails:

The file filemgmt.dll was not copied correctly.

The file Setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows XP system image. If you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem with the Windows Xp CD.

*To retry, press ENTER
If you continue to receive this message, contact your Windows XP supplier or system administrator.

*To skip this file, press ECS.

CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may not work properly.

*To quit Setup, press F3.

If I tell it to retry it still fails

If I tell it to skip and continue enough times it gives me the blus screen of death.

The message says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntfs.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If the problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, pressF8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0X00000050 (0XA1B49690, 0X00000000, 0XF816D7B9, 0X00000000)

*** ntfs.sys - address F816D7B9 base at F814E000, Datestamp 3d6de5c1

I have tried using a different Windows Xp cd, a different cd-rom and I have tried installing to a different HD with the same results.

I tried to be as thorough as possible while describing my problem. If you need more details I will try to provide.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like the CD you are trying to use is looking for some data on the harddrive to read from, like a recovery cd will use. Similar if not identical to HP recovery cds not working after you format/fdisk the hdd... But since you said you tried different cds *and* different drives, it confuses me...
Do you have an ntfs partition ready to accept the new OS?

Another possiability... Faulty memory (RAM, video, etc...)
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Developer/Operating_Systems/Q_20306153.html

http://www.osr.com/ddk/ddtools/bccodes_4qsn.htm

Last edited:
I believe that you get the
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
error on bootup when the system is overclocked too high. Check that all of the settings are set to default in the bios while trying to install windows. If the memory timings are too aggressive it may even give that error.

Only simple thing I could think of trying before swapping out parts.

Back