• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

make amd k62/3 work on p-1 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

junglemike

Registered
Hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone has opinion on this topic or anyone heard it in the past. Probably no because this is a histoty now. But anyway...
I am planning to put amd-k6 400 on p-1 bord. The here is that p-1 boards are designed for p1(p54c)-(75-233mhz) or p1(p55c=mmx)(166-233mhz) cpu's. amd's k5/k6/k6-2/k6-3 (socket7/super socket7)are backwards compatible to p-1's (socket5) meaning that you have no problem to use p1 cpu's on boards made for k6-2/3. I'm trying to do vice-versa. The main problem is voltage. p1 works at 3.3v (166mmx and up works at 2.8v. While k6-2 works at 2.2v I read some info and some guide about it and the "magic" thing is that k6-2 processor understands x2 multiplier as x6 (p-1 boards don't have such multiplier , only up to x2.5-x.3) and , as a result , working at 400mhz!!! The only (hardest) thing is needed - is to manyally make a 2.2 volt stabilizer and "unplug" the default mb stabilizer. i.e make some small ~10 componets sheme and connect it to vcore pins of cpu.
This is a really hard task. I'm goona do that mostly out of curiosity if it works, not that i need so much that "p1-400"
Just wanted to know if anyone have some experience in such things.

I used to play around with some of those Intel P-1 and AMD K6 on socket 7 mobos once upon a time. Not all the socket 7 had the voltages needed for the AMD's, especially the K6-2 (I'm assuming the 400 is a K6-2?). If the mobo is a super socket 7, then you are good to go. The rest of the regular socket 7 mobos were hit and miss depending on how much voltage adjustments they had. Also, the MMX P-1 and the K6/K6-2 had split voltages, so sometimes you had to set a separate jumper for that too.

Most motherboards originally meant for the P55 have split voltage settings low enough to run a standard K6-2/3. 2.5 to 2.6 is no problem, and most boards will go that low. I did the 400 MHz trick on a Biostar motherboard that would go no lower than 2.8. This is pretty high for a K6-2, but it lived for quite a while. It was finally done in by the cheap CPU cooler. If I had a socket A cooler on it, it would probably still be fine.

I really can't recommend going to the trouble of modifying a non-MMX motherboard to work with a K6-2, especially when there are so many MMX motherboards to be had for cheap (or free, look at our classifieds)

You might want to check out this sticky, http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112907

Last edited:
Yeah, check out the sticky. I have read through that and an aweful lot of those old boards can be revived to a greater speed with an AMD k6-2 or K6-3 cpu.

Back