• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Access Denied

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John1975

Helpful Member
The problem I have is that all the folders on one of my hard drives are read only and I can't change them.

This is how it happened.

I had another version of windows xp pro before and I was messing around with the security on my second hard drive, I think I had it set up so that only the owner of the drive could mess with it.

Then I reformated my C drive without formating or changing the settings on my second hard drive. I then installed my freshly bought and very legal version of windows xp pro. But I can't copy my files from the second hard drive to my C drive. I can see all the files and run the exe ones too.

Does anyone know how to fix this mess?

Log on as administrator ( the acc u create when u install xp) I can only do this by going into safe mode and logging onto admin that way (even tho my acc SAYS admin) Go to the file/folder in question, right click properties and in there somewhere there should be an option for acces settings. Change so all can access and off u go. sry I cant remember exactly.

See how u go.

i have this very same prob.... but diff scenerio...
i tried deleting it ad administrator in normal, safe mode, and boot disk... i've tried dos... nothing seems to work for me.... so now i have like 4 folder that equl up like 2.5gig that i CANT delete.....

any other suggestions?? is there like some program out there that'll "brute erase" it? or something i can do in the regrestry to "fool" the system or something?

thanks,

maiof said:
i tried deleting it ad administrator in normal, safe mode, and boot disk... i've tried dos... nothing seems to work for me.... so now i have like 4 folder that equl up like 2.5gig that i CANT delete.....

any other suggestions?? is there like some program out there that'll "brute erase" it? or something i can do in the regrestry to "fool" the system or something?

thanks,

you might try downloading freeware file deleter progs or something like that...if that doesnt fix it..just reformat I guess..... and btw, thread hijacking is kinda rude. :rolleyes:

maiof said:

thanks,
You probably don't have ownership of the files/folders.
I explained it before.. here: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181760

Hey maiof you lamer hi-jacker, :p

In XP to enable the "security" tab go to control panel | folder options | view tab | and clear the "use simple file sharing" box.

Then you can take ownership of the folder/files thru folder properties.

:cool:

Back