• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can you get rid of bloatware in creative audigy 2 drivers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikapc

While the audigy 2 is indeed a great card and some of the software that comes with it is nice too like the speaker calibrator there are also some rather annoying aspects of the software. For example anyone know how to get rid of that creative logo popping up at the beginning of windows startup. I was also appalled to find an aol shortcut after installation which i promptly deleted. Thanks

You could just install the drivers only, by running the setup in the driver folder hidden somewhere on the CD.

If you want the AudioHQ stuff, it's more difficult to avoid bloatware, but some settings you can change from within these programs. You can take a look around there, but I'm not sure whether you can disable that banner thing at startup from there.

mikapc said:
While the audigy 2 is indeed a great card and some of the software that comes with it is nice too like the speaker calibrator there are also some rather annoying aspects of the software. For example anyone know how to get rid of that creative logo popping up at the beginning of windows startup. I was also appalled to find an aol shortcut after installation which i promptly deleted. Thanks

Also, odds are if you just deleted the AOL shortcut, you did not uninstall the little hidden files that is still left on your system from that install...

mikapc said:

Also, odds are if you just deleted the AOL shortcut, you did not uninstall the little hidden files that is still left on your system from that install...any AOL shortcut is never just that...99% of the times it will also install other little nasty AOL files...if you have not ran ad-aware, I would advice you to do so to make sure everything is completely gone...

Something else to run besides ad-aware is Spybot - Search & Destroy. This program will search for other programs that ad-aware does not find...such as...

Key loggers
Some trojans
Internet dialers
Browser hijackers
Several other nasties you may have picked up in your travels through cyberspace

These (ad-aware, spybot) are two programs you should run regularly.

Last edited:
Check your configuration. There's a little check box in there that will disable the start up box. Bugged the crap out of me also.
Go to your main programs/creative/ Soundblaster Audigy 2/
creative splash screen. Clicking on the icon turns it on and off. look for the red x in the corner and it'll be disabled.

I downloaded drivers from just there web site. Then tried to load the parts of the software I wanted. But in the end I still ended up with some crap I didn't want. But I think thats the best way to do it.

bloatware

when i had this same problem i too downloaded the driver only and installed it, but i did so after uninstalling the original drivers, audigy drivers and anything that resembled a sound driver. i have no annoying startup movie, no AOL crap, no taskbar on top of my screen that never gets used, and no stupid disc detector. i have three items in my system try, my anti virus, software firewll, and my vid card control panel that takes care of keeping my ti4600 o/c'ed. and btw, i heard that if you replaced that stupid startup movie with another of the same format and name, it would still play it. so like the thx sound test or something if you decide you like a movie playing but are tired of it being the same annoying little one.

Just to update, i upgraded my mobo and reinstalled the everything, including the audigy drivers. The way to disable that start up logo is to click on the splash screen icon and let the little pop up window come up. There's two buttons (one doesn't look much like a button) on the pop up and when that's clicked will open a dialog allowing you to turn off the opening logo splash screen. You can also disable the taskbar by going into it's sub menu.

Back