• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo stand offs ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
where can i get some mother board stand offs that i can secure into wood?

Never seen 'em with wood screws on them.
You can just drill a smaller hole, and use the standoff and a nutdriver to "tap" the threads. It works on my plexi that way.

just a thought, sounds like you got a fun project in the works...

You may have grounding concerns if they are just mounted into wood. You could use strips of sheet metal, create the holes and thread into the sheet metal and then recess the strips into the wood. Ground the strips to the common ground and you're back to the equivalent of a steel case.

"Tapping" them into the wood should work; I would suggest using a bit of glue/epoxy to keep them locked in place.

As another thought- when I mod my cases of choice- which are all old AT server cases......I use bolts JBwelded to the case and either plastic tubing (available a model railroad stores) or nylon washers as spacers.

You could do something similar with wood screws: plastic tubing cut to the proper length and some nice stainless steel screws.

It might not look quite as nice but it could be a bit more secure.

I look forward to the pics!

well here is what i think im going to do

step 1

drill 4 holes in the wood

step 2

epoxy 4 bolts in to holes

step3 screw in stand offs

step 4 screw in mobo and ground it to the psu

How about cone nuts? You drill a hole and hammer them into place, and they have threads for machine screws.

show me these " cone nuts"

Sometimes they are called t-nuts -- I've used em plenty but I've never seen any that are even close to being small enough for standoffs.

basically you drill a hole and insert the t-nut into the hole and pound it in -- it has a top flange with points that stick into the wood to keep it from spinning. the flange has a threaded barrel you can screw things into. Wow, I hope that makes sense.

Great Idea Though.

T

Here's a wide assortment of different styles on mcmaster carr's site, you need #6-32 for standoffs.

Wow they do have T-nuts in the right size for that.

Great find -- not sure why I didn't think of mcmasters myself (slaps self)

T

thank you

but it looks like a change in plans

im going to put them int plexy glass

any suggestions for that

Some of the standoffs on that linked page are for plastic. Some are for press fitting, and some are for threading in.
But again, I just drilled a smaller hole and drove them in with a nutdriver (like a socket on a screwdriver handle).

You can also tap plastic/plexi with a regular steel tap. Only use the tap for half of it's length, and the holes will grip nice an tight. If you use the tap all the way into the hole, you risk making the tapped holes too large, and stripping them easily.

You could also drill a regular hole that the threaded end fits into, and add some clear epoxy on the threads with a toothpick. Set the plastic sheet on waxpaper, and do them all at once.

If you want them removable, use some WD40 on a swab to "lube" the threads with first, then they should screw back out after the epoxy hardens. The epoxy will grip the holes in the plexi better if it's roughed up first with a small piece of 80 grit sandpaper first.

Dozens of ways, bud!

cool i will show you when im done

Use Nails, on the other side of the wood, run a wire connecting them all to ground.
Standoffs are only really important when mounting to sheetmetal.

thats what i was thinking

but

the mobo will be above the cdrom i dont want it to touch and short

also it might need some space to cool

I would go to Home Depot and just get some 1/4" long spacers with proper sized hole, then just use #6 wood screws to fasten it to wood.

screw-mobo-spacer-wood

I tried that once, and it's not pretty.
Your mobo needs to go into it's location, then slide parallel with the backplane into the IO slots. Doing this at the same time you try to line up and insert 10 screws with spacers underneath the board is near impossible, unless you have 12" fingers...
Mobo spacers are the way to go, IMHO.

okay here is what im doing

im makeing a bottom layer of plexi for the cdrom

then

getting mabey 1 or 2 smaller strips of plexi and makeing a sort of
[ shaped thing and then adding a second story on top where i will epoxy some screwless stand offs inplace ( the oens that look like arrows)

does this sound like a good idea?

Back