• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

160 fsb on a pc133 platform. Back it off a bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AxE

Registered
I don't have the fancy pci divisors most of you have. Running @ 160 fsb is pushing pci to 40 and agp to 80. Sandra says anything past 75 agp is too much.

From someone who has experience, can you tell me how long you have been @ 160+ fsb and has it effected any of your cards?

Btw none of my components cause problems due the high speed but "might" later down the road... Currently running @ 150 fsb.

Update: For the below post the cpu is a 2000+ on an abit kt7a v 1.3. In other words 12.5 is my limit. There is an option for 13 but it's >13. I can't change multiplyers for some reason (shim?).

Last edited:
Thats pretty harsh on those drives
If you stay there, your probably allright- but ya never really know.

I did 40pci for a while without ill affects. What proc do you have? Does it hav unlocked multis?

If its not limiting your oc, just stay at 150 to be on the safe side.

im at 160 rock solid but im at my limit-161 crashes lol. Im a 1.2 pIII at 1.44. I dont wanna back off to the 1.35 of 150 but i might back it down to 155. I like 160 though. Im interested in hearing the responses here too.

I had an older 10GB WD HDD corrupt on me at 165FSB on a 1/4 divider. That's 41.25 PCI. I'm not sure about the AGP, but your HDDs will probably not last.

hrm, i have some pretty old ones in there so what would you recomend? Back it off a mhz or take it all the way to 155. Im fully stable here and i just wish i had PCI dividers but those were before this chips time. Its amazing how overcocking has grown recently. I thought everything i was hearing aobut when i started was old fashoned stuff that had been around for a long time.

Also when you say it wont last do you mean data wise or physically?

AxE said:
I don't have the fancy pci divisors most of you have. Running @ 160 fsb is pushing pci to 40 and agp to 80. Sandra says anything past 75 agp is too much.

From someone who has experience, can you tell me how long you have been @ 160+ fsb and has it effected any of your cards?

Btw none of my components cause problems due the high speed but "might" later down the road... Currently running @ 150 fsb.

Update: For the below post the cpu is a 2000+ on an abit kt7a v 1.3. In other words 12.5 is my limit. There is an option for 13 but it's >13. I can't change multiplyers for some reason (shim?).

If you are certain that none of your components have problems with the 160mhz/40 setting, then I would not worry about running it like that. Making sure does involve some testing, otherwise errors may still be present but you just didn't detect them yet. In the latter case problems may 'suddenly' appear down the road.

Well, there certainly is no danger from the AGP rate. I used a BX at 150fsb for years, and it is still running for the guy I sold it to. This is a 100MHz AGP rate.

As far as the PCI rate, if it's stable there is no reason to worry. Anytime people clock a rig without a PCI lock into instability they wish to lay the blame at the feet of the PCI speed rather than seriously considering that their ram or cpu is limiting them. It's wishful thinking in all but the rarest of cases. An unstable machine will corrupt your data first off, it is typically not a fault of the PCI rate.

I have a lot of LX and BX machines in the field running 41-44MHz PCI rates to this day. If they worked the first day, they work today. There is no long-term conseqeunce if your components are stable in the first place.

Last edited:
Hmm excelent news. I think the only thing still bothering some people is wether or not a hard drive will stop working / permenant damage or if the data corruption is temporary untill a format is done.

ya. I can run rock solid at 160 fsb according to sandra and F@H. I havent hooked up prime95 but then again i dont see the need to since im not hitting any problems in general usage either.

AxE said:
Hmm excelent news. I think the only thing still bothering some people is wether or not a hard drive will stop working / permenant damage or if the data corruption is temporary untill a format is done.

The higher speed will only corrupt the data transmission to the device, that is, it may get corrupted in extreme cases. I don't think it will cause your drive to malfunction; a clean format on stock speed should cure any data problems you might have gotten.

larva said:
Well, there certainly is no danger from the AGP rate. I used a BX at 150fsb for years, and it is still running for the guy I sold it to. This is a 100MHz AGP rate.

As far as the PCI rate, if it's stable there is no reason to worry. Anytime people clock a rig without a PCI lock into instability they wish to lay the blame at the feet of the PCI speed rather than seriously considering that their ram or cpu is limiting them. It's wishful thinking in all but the rarest of cases. An unstable machine will corrupt your data first off, it is typically not a fault of the PCI rate.

I have a lot of LX and BX machines in the field running 41-44MHz PCI rates to this day. If they worked the first day, they work today. There is no long-term conseqeunce if your components are stable in the first place.

You're probably right...you always are from what I've seen. :) My 10GB backup HDD corrupted on me once I started going into the 160FSB range. That was the result of too high a frequency on the PCI bus, right?

BTW, I did a low-level format which fixed it. Now I'm on a 1/5 divider at 170, which gives me 34MHz PCI. I've yet to see any problems.

Back