• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Take Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ancient Enemy

Registered
Hi, I'm new here and I'm working on rebuilding my little brother's computer because he got himself a brand new case. So in the process of transfering I was putting the IDE strip cables and they seem too short for me to put 3 Harddrives (one can be put on the card it came with), and 2 CD's rom drives.

I have the Thermaltake Highest Xaser III V1000A Super Tower and I cant seem to fix the short IDE problem. Please respond on what to do. Thnx. I'm guessing getting 24" IDE cables .... but thats will take me a while to get :( any suggestions?

Can you move the hd to another bay that will reach the ide cable? Rearrange the drives so the ide cables you have will work.

I'm one of those guys that avoids ide cables longer than 18" like the plague. Specs for ide cable states that it shouldn't be over 18" and even thought there's guys that use them and it works for them, I wouldn't use them.

-Bobby

I've really tried rearranging the harddrives but they just dont seem to reach.

I heard they slow down data transferr or something whats with that "rule"

It doesn't slow down data transfer. Well, indirectly it will. The signals aren't spec'd to travel farther than 18" on the cable. When you use a longer cable, the signal might get too weak and will cause errors so your computer has to send the data again. Usually with the newer hardware, this isn't much of a problem but some manufacturers will cut corners and only make the signal strong enought to reach 18-20" reliably. But then again, they're not obligated to test it to go any further so you can't blame them.

-Bobby

Okay... the ones that normally come with drives are 18" but remember this is a full tower and I dont think 18 is gonna cut it. Soooo I this its our best bet to go higher BUT I have a simalar case and I use rounded IDE cables.. i dunno for sure how long they are.

Last edited:
The Xaser isn't a full tower. It's big and part of the problem is that the drives are turned 90° so the connectors are facing out of the case. I read a review about it and they didn't like that.

I guess you can try 24" cables but test it out to make sure you don't get errors.

-Bobby

Yea I thinks that some serious Bull**** and part of the problem is that the mobo has the IDE connections at the bottom rather than the top or middle... Peice of **** luck... I guess 24" will need to be it...

I use a few 24" cables with no trouble- and my pci bus has been up to 44mhz while using them :)

It may be past spec, but most people do not seem to have trouble with them, so give it a try. If you get a lot of drive errors though, you may know why.

Back