• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trouble with CPU ratio in BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

alright, i own a 1200 athlon chip and am trying to overclock it, but i am getting weird results....

I am trying to mess with the CPU ratio, when set at 9 i get 1200 mhz...

when i set CPU ratio to 10 i get 1333mhz

if i set it to ANYTHING above 10 i get 1200 mhz again, why the hell?

i tried messing around with voltage but that didnt help, i am sorta new to this but my gut tells me i need to do that "unlock" thing where i take a pencil and doodle around on the chip....

edit: what even weirder is i tried playing around with the "Frequency 1mhz stepping" and got the following results:

133: 1333mhz (normal)
135: 1350mhz (normal)
137: 1370mhz (normal)
139: 1390mhz (normal)
140: 1260mhz (What the ?!?!?!?!?!!?!??????????)

Last edited:
Proabably reverting back to deafult because it is being overclocked too far? If you can get it to boot at 10 x 133 when the default is 9 x 133 suggests to me that it is already unlocked and no pencil work is required.

So when you try and boot at 140 x 10 you get 140 x 9 - correct? Seems like it is booting up in a type of safe mode. Is there anything within the bios that prevents overclocking?

I have something similar to what happens to you but it only happens when I go above 200MHz fsb my bios says that I have the multi I am using time a 133MHz fsb. Try multiplying by 10.5 and go into windows and run wcpuid or something similar and see if it says 1400Mhz or if it says 1200Mhz. When I do that I get the correct fsb and clockspeed. My Bios reports it incorrectly above 200Mhz.

I just noticed something, i just made it do 10X139 and it gave me 1200something, wtf? i just had 1390 with it....

so i change voltage from "Default" to 1.85 and restart and i get 1390, so do you think that my voltage is limiting me from increasing my mhz?

OK it confirms what I thought - it was being overclocked too far with the setup you had originally - the extra juice has made it stable. Seems your board rather than produce no post when overclocked too far reverts to a lower frequency.

well, the max overclock i can get is 1333mhz @ 10X133, it runs at 55 degrees idle and ~61 full load.....

i know those are HIGH HIGH HIGH temps but i figure there must be something wrong with my temp guages or something...

Ive been running that setup for over a year now without trouble, what do you think?

They are pretty high temps - are you using stock cooling? My guess is if you could get them temps down (assuming they are accurate) you could probably overclock further.

not stock, the heatsink is PURE copper, its a Coolmaster or Cooler master or something like that, it was rated as a good HSF (the best FRY's had) so i got it...

Back