• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REmove NB heatsink without unscrewing mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceWilly

Just as the title says, my mobo NB cooler has a fan and a heatsink attached to the mobo with pushpins. (Soyo Board) Is there any way to remove the pushpins without unmount the board. I have wires and cables tucked everywhere i am not looking forward to take all that out.
Thanks

Plastic push pins can have the *tips* cut off using a mini wire cutter. As for getting them from behind the MB... gonna have to remove it.

As far as I know, the very design of these pushpins requires you to access the board from the backside. Maybe you cut them off entirely from the front with some effort, but that would mean you'd need a new method of attachment.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Image10.JPG

[pic from virtual-hideout.net]

I'm thinking if you don't want to break anything, it would be a good idea to remove the mobo from the case. Won't take that long anyway :)

With me it will. I am a clean freak and i have to tuck all the wires away. I am also a fan of Led's (vid card, cpu fan, etc) and i stashed all this along the sides with tye wraps and stuff. So undoing it all and redoing it means like an hour or a few. Sides its so nice now i don't wanna ruin it :D

I think i will just cut the clips off.

If you are daring enough, you could always drill them out. Use a bit slightly smaller than the hole ... drill away ... pray?

ok you very carefully pull the cables not messing up any of your doings. carefully fold them back then unscrew and pull it throught the side thats open then carefully put it back in and fold the folded cables back.

i thought about drilling
i have the stuff for it, but i was afraid bits of metal might get on the mobo and short something out. that was my original plan tho.
Stupid broken soyo 40 mm fan

Hey, I just noticed! My SOYO fan also broke on the exact same board. I replaced it with an Iceberq. Is yours completely busted or just making the noises of future death? My fan was grinding from cold boots and gradually sounded more and more painful until I finally replaced it.

Use masking tape or cut a hole in a stitic free bag. You should only be cutting through plastic and not any metal so it should be safe. Just have steady hands and used a can of compressed air to blow away any debris after the process. Have fun.

yeah the damn thing groans like crazy. Thats why i am trying to replace it, i think i am just going to use the zalman heatsink without a fan, i am not Oc'ing it, and i have pretty good airflow. Damn soyo and their cheap fans

Oh and i am cutting through metal. The peice of the case that holds the mobo, i am gonna cut through that to get to the back of the push pins.

IceWilly said:
yeah the damn thing groans like crazy. Thats why i am trying to replace it, i think i am just going to use the zalman heatsink without a fan, i am not Oc'ing it, and i have pretty good airflow. Damn soyo and their cheap fans

Oh and i am cutting through metal. The peice of the case that holds the mobo, i am gonna cut through that to get to the back of the push pins.

Well... cutting through the back of the mobo plate without knowing where the pins line up exactly (seems like a tough measurement to me)... and then drilling those out of a sensitive PCB full of traces = :eek: Good luck.

By the way, I think it's a very common problem that these tiny mainboard fans are of very poor quality. I read some about Abit's failing quickly too.

The pushpins are only nylon, if you can get a good grip on them from the front, just keep pulling and they'll eventually deform and come out. Usually before you break the board material.

Use a blow torch to come through the back of the case, do what you need to do and get out of there, when your done use an arc welder to weld everything back into place.

Then your going to need to sand down the welds, prime the case, and paint it.

thats how i'd do it

Back