• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a celly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

STEBEL

Hi

I have Celeron 533 FCPGA 66 FSB (nominal) and overclocked it via BIOS to 664 (8x83)

When I set it once step more I must clear CMOS as don't have the possibility to start comp.

I use DFI CA61 board and found some FSB jumpers and mulipliers changers.
I know intel based processors can't have multiplier changed, so can I only change FSB via jumper to 100 and have the possibility to run it as 800 or can it be too harmful ?

Current temp are max 43-45 °C

BTW - what's the difference between FCPGA and PPGA ?

Thanks

STEBEL said:
When I set it once step more I must clear CMOS as don't have the possibility to start comp.
You might need to up the CV (Core Voltage) a bit.
STEBEL said:
so can I only change FSB via jumper to 100 and have the possibility to run it as 800 or can it be too harmful ?

Current temp are max 43-45 °C

Yep that's the only way, you should take it easy (one step at a time) and keep an eye on your temps.
I would give it a try, but I suggest you try to keep temps below 50°C.

STEBEL said:
BTW - what's the difference between FCPGA and PPGA ?

Thanks
It has to do with the type of package, PPGA stands for Plastic Pin Grid Array and FC-PGA stands for Flip Chip Pin Grid Array, they 'flipped' the core on FC-PGA CPU's to get better contact (more direct) with the heatsink.

**EDIT** Welcome to the forums.

Most of the Celly 533 FC-PGA (Coppermine) CPUs will do 100 FSB without any problem. Give it a shot, if it's stable, it's good.

Hi and many thanks for replying.

How can I change the voltage for CPU ? I use Award BIOS 4,51 PG 2000yr and have NO such a setting.

Thanks

You need to bring your temps down a little before thinking about increasing voltage. The most those Coppermine cores like is mid-40's and you are already at that load CPU temp. Besides, you only need more voltage in order to run stable. Don't raise it unless you have to. Can you run at 800 MHz? There is a way to wire the VID pins to increase voltage.

You need to work on cooling a little first. Once you get the CPU load temps below 40's, then I'll help you figure out how to raise the voltage. What CPU heatsink are you using? The stock Intel retail heatsink? Are you using thermal paste? What do you have for case ventilation (fans)?

Last edited:
a midi tower, 1 cpu fan + huge radiator (Spire), no paste, 1 power supply fan. Inside temp max 38, CPU only sometimes reaches 42-43. Well, I think I won't try 800, as if fact am an amateur in overclocking and thought voltage changing is a matter of one, two changes in BIOS. i don't want to operate on mobo itself, as in any damage possible I have no money for any change :(

Thanks however for you help and time,
I learned a lot this way, :)

VID pinning is wiring a couple of CPU pins together, it's not modifying the mobo. Lots of mobos allow voltage adjustment in the BIOS, but not all mobos. I still think your biggest problem is overheating. That's just too warm to attempt overclocking. Don't give up yet, we just need to work on cooling.

First off, you need a thin layer of thermal paste between your CPU and heatsink (radiator as you called it). Next, you need a case fan or two. At least one extra 80mm fan in the lower front to blow fresh air into the case. Do you have any old computers laying around? If so, pull the fan out of the power supply or just buy an extra 80mm fan. You need cool air blowing in and hot air exhausting out the back.

http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/mainboard/ca61.htm

Good luck. Let us know how it works. I still think with better cooling and a little more voltage, that CPU will do 800 MHz, if it's a FC-PGA CPU (it is a green CPU, right?)

Last edited:
I have a free place for the fan on case if front inside, but shouldn't there be any holes to get cool, fresh air come from my room ? If I put another fan it'll only move the air inside - no fresh air. Right?

As I wrote I am amateur - never have taken off CPU - so "wiring a couple of CPU pins together" - ohoo, no, no . . . not for me. Thought it's much easier. For the same reason I don't know if it's green. Sandra reports it to be P6C Coppermine 128 Celeron 533 1.3 - 1,75 V FCPPGA Socket 370.

Sorry that I must dissapoint you.
If only I had money for another mobo + CPU +DDRs I wouldn't be so terrified to do the steps you suggest :) I need comp almost everyday and from it also depends some work for my father's job -I will now stay at 664MHz.

Thanks

It's ok. No problem. Doing the wire modification is not for everyone.

Ok, the good news is that you have a Coppermine Celeron. I can tell that from the voltage. So, this is a good CPU. If it was the old style Celeron, the voltage would be 2.0v and it would not overclock much.

I editted my last post about the 112 FSB. I made a mistake with that. If you can't run stable at 100 FSB, then it sure won't at 112 FSB. To install a fan in the front, you might have to cut or drill some holes to provide more air.

Try this. Take the side cover off the case and put an electric household fan up near the computer with the air blowing inside the case. Now try 100 FSB and see what happens. If it works, then you need better cooling. If it don't work, then it's time to give up.

There's a DFI CA-61 board in my kid's rig running a P!!!-667Mhz @ 750Mhz 150FSB with two 256MB sticks of Infinion PC150 SDRAM at 150Mhz CL222, so the board is certainly capable of higher speeds. Unfortunatly there are no Voltage options in BIOS, only FSB options. Make sure you flash the latest BIOS cuz only the latest has some correction for overclocking bugs the previous versions had. I guess your only options are Vid-pinning and 100FSB-default pinning. Search the forums and you'll find out howto...

Just an ending update

Hi again

Try this. Take the side cover off the case and put an electric household fan up near the computer with the air blowing inside the case. Now try 100 FSB and see what happens. If it works, then you need better cooling. If it don't work, then it's time to give up.

Ok. What I've done today was: taking case off and putting an electric fan nearby. I get the temp inside at 26 and CPu temp 27.
Then checked FSB in BIOS at 100MHz - didn't run, CMOS clearing. Later on, tried manual jumper changing for 100MHz on mobo. The same rusult (the temps were the same).

Also I must correct the voltage error : Sandra reports sth like core voltage at 1,65 for CPU. But the REAL voltage on CPU by mobo hardware doctor, and Sanra where I found that later IS: 1,5 V.

So accrding to your valuable opinions it is TOO small, but I wouldn't like to change it. In the nearest future I will have to make complex change however, as I passed exams for computer science studies :D . So I will deal with programming, video+graphic editing more seriously, and was thinking about some Socket A platform + AMD on 333 FSB (thinking about 2500+) + DDRs 333 and some Radeon or GF (in this choice I have the biggest problem :( ) . So when I'll get new mobo I will maybe try more with the CPU voltages. However my father now stands on the queue for my current mobo .....

So what mobo producer would you suggest for OC and it should be stable too and enable the voltages changes ! :) - Asus, Abit , Soltek ?

To end with - great forum !! , many thanks for information and replies

Back