• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobile AMD ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

modenaf1

I was in office depot and just for the heck of it i wanted to see what speed the mobile amd athlon ran in a new toshiba laptop.

in the system specs, it said it was only at 978Mhz and a mobile 1800+

even in aplications that they had that seemed kinda cpu intensive, it still was only at 978. so my question is, are there defective cpu's that stay throttled down or are there actually 1800's that run at 978? if that is the case, id say amd is really overdoing that pr rating thing.

Uhh, I think I read somewhere that alot of the mobile chips use a method of throttleing down when they are running hot. I have also heard many a tale about different laptops not giving the correct CPU speed and all that. I think it may just be an error, I dont think that the mobile 1800 runs at 978Mhz...at least I hope not.
;)

I saw the same thing you did, although I saw an 1800+ at 558Mhz. I'm pretty sure its probably something to do with AMD's PowerNow! technoloty which allows the cpu to throttle to save power. For one thing, the speed it states in the system specs stays the same as it was on startup, at least on a destop rig. Try changing your FSB via some app like cpuFSB or speedfan and you will notice CPU-Z will report it correctly but the windows system specs doesn't change. Probably since the computer wasn't loaded very much at startup the cpu wasn't running at full speed.

whoa there. i was just bored and used a toshiba in office depot for 15min while my mom was shopping. nope truthfully if i had a choice of building my desktop, buying a desktop, or buying a laptop, i wouldnt be caught dead with the last 2 ;) well, i would go for a laptop if i needed mobile.

anyways, i think they should do it like intel (OMG never thought id say that!!) with their speed step thingy. that seemed really useful and easy to use. i remember messing with it on a laptop that had a P!!! in compusa.

I am pretty sure the throttling down can be switched off on these laptops - I remember a thread about this 3 or 4 weeks ago.

it is easy to turn off, simply go into the power management of the OS and change it from laptop to always on, the speed stepping will then be switched off. But it is advisable to leave this on to save battery power and excess heat generation.

Back