• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On-line gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

For some reason I am having a problem playing my games on-line. My ping is now getting too high for FPS yet at my old house it was very low. I moved from an area outside the city to inside the city(in college) so that shouldn't be a problem. same provider and same 2mbit connection. I go to dos and type ping www.google.com and it goes all the way to their site with pings in the 60-80's. Yet on-line i hit over 120 when I am had from the 40's-80's. I just reformatted and installed XP pro again. Are there any tweaks that I should try that might get my response time back?
Duck

Run a traceroute to the game servers you play on and locate your bottleneck, find out where it is, then call your isp and ask about it. If they tell you to get lost which they probably will because ISP's this day and age care only about your money, change ISP's.

it's just odd because only seven miles away I had much better pings with the same connection.

but your on a different segment now, which could be overloaded. post some tracerts to some servers so we can see where the bottleneck is

Back