• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rh9 / wine question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grv

OK, so from what I've read I can produce more on my linux box with wine and the windows client than I can with the native client, which I had been running till now.

I got the wine rpm installed, and kicked off the 3.24 windows console client, but I notice that if I ctrl-c to quit the client, wine seems to hear it first and just dumps the whole process. After that, when I restart I get "improper termination" and I lose 3dnow optimizations.

I know what you're going to say: flags flags flags. This box hard locks on sse, so I have to run *just* the -advmethods flag. If I use -forceasm, I use sse instead of 3dnow, and I'm eventually bumming. Ironically, this is the only way to force optimizations on. When Stanford changed the purpose of the -forceasm flag to add the purpose of toggling sse and 3dnow, I wondered to myself why, as it seemed limiting somehow. Now I am living it...

How can I:

a) pass the ctrl-c on to the fah client, instead of wine
b) force 3dnow on, not sse

Fold on:cool:

Thanks for the advice. I tried the 3.25 beta before with the 1.48 core and it still locks. I agree sse kicks butt compared to 3dnow, but I just can't seem to keep it from locking my 2 2400+ boxes up. That's why my new box is a pally 1900+. I can let sse rip on that one and it does just fine.:D

I tore my hair out for a week on this one. Until I see a new core from Stanford, I need to figure out how to force 3dnow only.

Edit: AFAIK, the 3.25 beta fixed the issue where forceasm would only cause sse to be used on amd for the first wu, and subsequent would use 3dnow. It didn't address the stabilty issue per se.

Back