• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 stock cooling with P4 2.6C without heatspreader??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maaij

Registered
Hi

I have a P4 2.6C without heatspreader. Its been watercooled.
Now I want to put it in my bro's computer. It will be air cooled with the stock cooler.

My question is:

Does it fit on my P4 CPu without heatspreader??
The CPU without heatspreader is a little lower so I am affraid my cooler dont make any conact to my CPU

Anyone tried it?? Doest is fit??
Hope anyone can help me

(I cant test is right now because I dont have any motherboard to test it)

thanx

Test fit it first. Add some thermal grease to it, attach the heatsink, remove the heatsink. If there is thermal grease on the bottem of the heatsink then it will be okay. If not, you can use a penny to as a heat spreader.

Kind of off topic, but are pennies even made of copper these days? I think the Canadian ones aren't, at least in the core.

Either way, it would probably be a good idea to lap the penny on both sides.

Canadian ones have a Zinc core. But it will sit on the chip fine, It just won't apply the normal amount of pressure (I guess it could also slide). Just add like a 1mm thick layer of electrical tape of something on the plastic heatsink cover thingy that the levers push down on. That'll make it closer to stock pressure :)

Pennies made before 1981 (or maybe 1984) are all copper. After that, they started making them with a zine core. If you're really bored you can file two edges down to the zinc and drop it in hydrochloric acid for a day... you'll get a hollow penny.

NiTrO bOiE said:
Test fit it first. Add some thermal grease to it, attach the heatsink, remove the heatsink. If there is thermal grease on the bottem of the heatsink then it will be okay.
i agree.
i have this done on my p4m's. (unmodded too)
the boxed cooler works good, but check it.
also good results i have with the pal 8942.

for saver results, i have milling the boxed cooler.
on higher pressure, the cooler has a very small contact to the sockel mechanism.
a paper between cooler and socket can't moving.
... but once again, simply try without the mod. :)

i would NOT recommended the penny-ihs. :eek:

(forgot the red circle)
p4-boxed-cooler-stufe.gif

Back