• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC3700 woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadBlade

I'm building a new system and I've decided on the PAP800 Deluxe and a P4 2.6c (or 2.8c if you guys think it would help) but the thing is that there are so many models and brands of PC3700.

Would one of you shed some light which brand and model I should be aiming for. Money is very flexible, go crazy.

OCZ DDR PC-3700 Performance Memory 256MB Model# OCZ466256EL

OR

OCZ Technology 256MB DDR PC3700 Dual Channel Gold Edition, Model OCZ466512ELDCGE-K

??????

And what's the difference when it comes to oc ing?

SeanOMatic said:
When it comes to FSB overclocking, the Gold Series is the best we have to offer.

this is a bit confusing since platinum is worth more than gold :/ i was looking at your web site while evaluating memory today, and i was disappointed (as i was with many others) that there isn't a simple best to worst categorization (after which details can be perused).

For many applications, Platinum is a better choice than Gold. Gold is a product designed with the i865/i875 Chipset in mind, therfore it has been optimized for those chipsets.

For non-i865/75 applications, Platinum is usually the best choice for overclockers.

thanks for the clarification

can you cite some examples of real-world gains as a direct result of memory overclocking? an 875 with a 2.4c would be a perfect example for me. i'm trying to wrap my head around how paying that much money for ram is better than buying cheaper memory, running at say 3:2/closer to ddr400, and spending the money saved on something like video.

i see dramatic real-world gains in fsb hops, and not nearly as much in memory hops.

i'm not at all trying to put you on the spot here, i'm trying to learn.

Back