• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these the only Hard Drive water coolers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok - gonna buy one of these then - looks like the innovatek, unless any gives me a reason why not too.

I almost went with the Innovatek blocks, but went with the Koolance instead (I needed a *lot* of them) because of cost, and because I knew a couple people using the Koolance blocks had great luck even with scortcher drives like I am using.

But, regardless of the blocks you choose, I think you'll enjoy the quite of not having to have air flow over them and the peace of mind that they won't die of heat death like so many of my other hard drives have.

wormwood said:
I almost went with the Innovatek blocks, but went with the Koolance instead (I needed a *lot* of them) because of cost, and because I knew a couple people using the Koolance blocks had great luck even with scortcher drives like I am using.

But, regardless of the blocks you choose, I think you'll enjoy the quite of not having to have air flow over them and the peace of mind that they won't die of heat death like so many of my other hard drives have.

What size fittings does the Koolance kit use? Did you buy all "Hard drive" kits, or did you get some "second harddrive" kits?

The Koolance drive coolers are Aluminum (*NOT* annodized!) and use 1/4" ID tubing. Doesn't sound nice until you consider that hard drives don't chew as much juice as CPUs (well, until you get a LOT of them). In this case, 1/4" ID is fine.

So I have a bunch of the Koolance blocks on a dedicated aluminum loop. The radiator for that loop is a Tru-Cool transmision cooler (a BIG one, not the small one like the Swiftech one). It's just using a smaller maxijet for the pump.

Koolance has "2nd hard drive kits" that they sell, but they are only usefull if you have a Koolance case. I don't have a Koolance case, but rather a large black Cube case (A9891). So they would be fairly useless to me. Besides, you can make one yourself with spare metal and a drill, maybe cost a buck. You can fit 2 drives on a single block this way.

I have 7 (6 in use, one waiting for next drive to show up) currently. Any more, and I'll probably need an additional pump.

I don't mix the loops between CPUs and drives. They are entirely seperate. If I had Copper Drive blocks with 1/2" insides, yeah, I'd mix'em, but they aren't so I don't.

wormwood said:
I have 7 (6 in use, one waiting for next drive to show up) currently. Any more, and I'll probably need an additional pump.

I don't mix the loops between CPUs and drives. They are entirely seperate. If I had Copper Drive blocks with 1/2" insides, yeah, I'd mix'em, but they aren't so I don't.

How do you have them arranged in your case, that's the one part I'm still trying to figure out.

I'm going to have 2 drives (RAID 0), so I'm trying to figure out the best block(s) and mounting options.

thanks.

I have a cube case, all hard disks and CD type devices are on the right side, motherboard and cooling on the left (and floppy and ennermax fan controller).

The right side has 8 5.25" bays and I forgot how many 3.5" bays, but I've got my 15K drives in 3.5"->5.25" adapters, and my EIDE drives in 3.5" bays. The Koolance adapters only increase the height by 0.25" or so, they don't increase the width.

So you have the pairs of drives you want to cool right above each other?

"Besides, you can make one yourself with spare metal and a drill"

Do you need to make this in order to cool 2 drives right above each other? Do you happen to have pics of your setup handy?:D

Idon't use them in pairs, I use one block per drive. But, it's possible to cool two drives with one block by placing one upside down and using a metal plate bolted to the bottom drive. My camera is currently on loan, but they (Koolance) has pics in their PDF on their site.

I *highly* recomend reading their directions PRIOR to ordering anything.

http://koolance.com/support/files/manual_hd_200eng_d.zip

Their is a goo you need to put on, and if you have a hard drive that is entirely covered by circuit board, it won't be as effective a cooler.

If it looks to be too much, the other coolers are easier to install. No goo. Cooling from the side sure is easier, albeit not quite as efficient. But if you are only doing a couple drives, especially if they aren't 15K drives, it's not as important.

wormwood said:
..... Cooling from the side sure is easier, albeit not quite as efficient. But if you are only doing a couple drives, especially if they aren't 15K drives, it's not as important.

I had thought cooling from the side was better because of greater surface area...

Daedelus said:
(maybe I missed it, but...) what drives ARE you using?

Jon

no - I haven't said :)

(2) 80 GB 8 MB 7200 Maxtors.

That now being said, while they certainly don't get as hot as a 15K drive would, I am trying to make a fanless system here, and these two drive and going to be place practically on top of each other.

Back