• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer sound to Hi-Fi.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asj

So I want to connect my Computer Up to my Hi-Fi so it sounds better But I don't know what I need.

I have a Sony Hi-Fi that has Video in (being used by TV) and Mini Disk optical Fibre Output.

So My computer (Spec in sig) doesn't have a sound Card (Use On board but I get paid on Thursday so was planning on getting it all wired up!

So what do you think I'll have to do to get them to work with each other. Oh and any other stuff you need to know just ask!

It looks like you already have pretty good on-board sound. Try getting new speakers. 2.1 or 5.1 speakers will make a world of difference.

-Bobby

all you need is a minijack to RCA wire from your computer to the HI-FI system. You may also want to get a Minijack Y-adapter so you can use your own speakers and HI-FI at the same time.

You can probably buy the Minijack Y-adapter for around $5. The cable may cost anywhere from like $5-$25 depending on how long you get and stuff.

When you say you have a video input and your TV is hooked to it.... I guess you are saying you have a video, left and right RCA inputs? If you do you could get a switch so you can plug both your tv and computer into the hi-fi like this . Then your going to need some adapters from your mini plug out of the computer to 2 RCA's like this . I am sure there are some cheaper ways like a Y adapter but will loose some quality.

Cool Thanks for the info! And yes it is left and right RCA input!

I would like to get souround sound speakers for my computer but don't see the point when I have a good sound system on my hifi!

All I need would be the Y adapter because I already have a switch (My dads but he's not using it so I'll be taking it! lol)

42-2483.jpg

All I need to find is someone in the uk who does it! shouldn't be too hard!

UK Iam having no luck in finding an online retailer in the uk!

Can anyone help?

But I will keep searching!

you lost me! I only know about computers not about Audio stuff! lol! Iam guessing Analogue co-ax. isn't co-ax in tv arial wire? lol. Um on my search for the minijack to rca adapter I can only find 15cm long ones! I could just extend them tho! If I don't find anything tomorrow I'll just buy the 15cm long one! (dabs.com I think) I'll have a look around local shops first tho!

You can use Fibre-optic wire to transmit data, it's used to connect Mini-disk sometimes. Analogue is what i think you will use.

So you want one end of the cable to be like a headphone socket and the other to be two RCA jacks?

Get one of these then.

insertzeekyboogydooghere.JPG

Last edited:
The little adaptor I got from a computer fair for 50p.

I got the lead on-line, hang on i'll dig the link out...

Edit: here.. Their shipping and handling is a bit much but the stuff is cheap, and I got a 15m x-over cable, a 10m patch cable and other stuff and if you get a bit of stuff it is worth it.

It isn't worth it if you are getting only a small amount of stuff though.

I rang them up to alter an order and the guy running it was very helpful.

Last edited:
If it's an optical output on your sound system then I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to use it as an input. But it should sound fine on the RCA cables. The only disadvantage to this is you only get stereo sound, but if you only have two speakers or Dolby Pro Logic on your reciever it won't matter.

How far do you need to run it? if you get one of the Y adapters like I posted above you could just buy a Headphone cable, they come in 6-30 foot lengths.

6m! I made my own one tho! lol! So I won't need to buy one! Oh the DIY shop I work in (Homebase) Sells them!

asj said:
6m! I made my own one tho! lol! So I won't need to buy one! Oh the DIY shop I work in (Homebase) Sells them!

lol, btw what hi-fi you got? because from the sounds of things its a mini/mircro system, which instantly means that the sound isnt great.

id recommend buying a seperates system - you can get one for ~£200 that would simply annihilate ANY prefabricated system especially as sony make SHOCKINGLY bad amps (but brilliant 'players' whether they be cassette, cd, minidisc, dvd etc, oh and decent tuners)

ever heard of richer sounds? well go to www.richersounds.co.uk they sell good hifi stuff... imo a seperates system is just so much more versatile and useful, plus the sound is far better than a compact system:

cheap amp: cambridge audo
cheap cd player: sony
cheap speakers: thats a bit of a difficult one - check what-hifi magazine for any that are rated 5* and look decent :)

Well I have great speakers! got 4 sony ones! Iam actually looking for a new HiFi soon and Yes the one I have at the moment is a mini hifi! I'll try and find a link to it. (Its not actually that bad!)

****10mins later:****

Its not a new model so I can't seem to find a pic of it! But yeh I saw a nice set of sony seperates that I liked. Oh and for me it ALL has to match!

"Analogue co-ax?"

No such thing last I checked.

Cool that you got seperates! The sound from seperate components is so much better than those shelf systems. What model sony speakers did you get? I myself I'm a big www.rotel.com and bwspealers.com fan. However they are very pricey!

the hifi I have got is a sony cmp-ct11.

can't seem to find a link still! lol. But its around 3 years old and actually belongs to my dad! Well he wants it in the dinning room now so I got to give it back! lol! So I'll have to buy something louder! that should **** him off! lol. j/king I do like my dad!

Back