• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a good pre-built PC with warrenty/tech support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC Noob

Some friends are wanting a kick butt system, but they probably won't go with a system built by them or me because they don't seem to comfortable with out the name brand, tech support and warrenty (on the whole unit).

I was hoping someone knew of a kick butt deal on a Dell or something that is atleast as upgradable as a Dell and is a name most people recognize.

I checked out Fatwallet and Techbargins and nothing stuck out at me. Also, They aren't going to want to jump through hoops to get a deal like some of the Fatwallet Hotdeals.

Cupon codes are all good so long as we don't have to go begging for them for weeks/months.

I'd like to find them a system with specks along these lines.

P4/AMD 2.4 ghz+ preferably 2.8+ ghz

512 DDR preferably 333/400 FSB

80 gig HD preferably 120 gig

GF4 MX level gfx---they don't play games other them for young children

DVD/CD-RW combo

Decent moniter or not they can always get a deal on a 19" moniter, but an included LCD would be nice

Decent speaker system--5.1 would be a plus

Photo printer/digital camera/scanner or not--like moniter, can get seperatly

I was looking at Dell site and nothing popped out at me.

If you know of a deal that is especially good please let me know.

Thanks!

You could tell em of a great brand name "Clash's Crazy computers". I promise not to make more than $1000.00 profit off of em. And free tech support for 24 hours from the time the computer ships from my house, er store.

Or if ya want to goto the competition, try well, i decided not to advertise for the competition...

Best Buy has an instore deal for this system

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11214709&m=0&cat=0&scat=0

AMD Athlon™ XP Processor 2400+
Model: S3200NX
Processor Brand
AMD Athlon™ XP 2400+

Processor Speed
2.0GHz

System Bus
266MHz

System Memory (RAM)
256MB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
1.0GB

Type of Memory (RAM)
PC2100 DDR SDRAM

Hard Drive Type
Ultra DMA

Hard Drive Size
120.0GB

Video Memory
32MB shared

Graphics
Integrated ProSavageDDR KM266 graphics

MPEG
Yes

Audio
Integrated AC '97 audio

Speakers
Not included

Modem
U.S. Robotics 56 Kbps* ITU V.90 *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

Network Card
10/100Base-T Fast Ethernet

CD-ROM Drive
Shared

Maximum CD-ROM Drive Speed
48x

CD-RW Drive
Yes

CD-RW Drive Speeds
48x12x48

DVD-ROM Drive
Yes

Maximum DVD-ROM Drive Speed
16x

DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive
No

DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive Speeds
No DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive

DVD-RW Drive
No

DVD-RW Drive Speeds
No DVD-RW drive

Removable Storage
None

Diskette Drive
Yes

Diskette Drive Type
3.5" 1.44MB

Total Expansion Bays
External: 2 (5.25"); Internal: 3 (3.5")

Available Expansion Bays
Internal: 1 (3.5")

Total Expansion Slots
3 PCI, 1 AGP

Available Expansion Slots
2 PCI, 1 AGP

With a 17inch Compaq monitor and an HP 3420 ( I think ) printer
for $600 ( + or - $20 ) after rebates.

zabomb4163 said:
http://www.abspc.com/index.asp

won several awards for being the all round best buy by many many computer mags

http://www.abspc.com/app/config.asp?mono=1599
very nice 1000$ system

I know you said integrated graphics and pc2100. But will 9600pro and pc3200 do?

LOL, yeah that would do;)

Actually I said PC 333/400 prefered and GF4 MX graphics. So PC3200 is great and the only reason a better vid card wouldn't be okay is if it raises the price unneasacerily.

I told them we could find something nice for around $800, but I think they would do $1000+. I'll check out all the suggestions thanks guys.

Pretty much what I'd like to find them is a really kickass rig for about $800-1000.

I found a nice Dell for $875 w/ P4 2.8 512 mb PC2700 120 gig HD GF4 MX 17" moniter DVD/CD-RW. Not a killer deal, but around what I was looking for.

Do Dell refurbs come with keyboard/mouse & speakers?

abspc.com sounds like they have the kind of credibility needed for their "piece of mind."

Thatnks again and if you come acroos any killer deals on semi-high end computers let me know:)

yeah...get'em a Dell, so when they call tech support they get someone in India or Thailand that doesnt speak English very well.....lol

ive heard that story alot lately.

OC Noob said:

I was hoping someone knew of a kick butt deal on a Dell or something that is atleast as upgradable as a Dell and is a name most people recognize.

That is THE funniest thing Ive heard all day :p

yeah...get'em a Dell, so when they call tech support they get someone in India or Thailand that doesnt speak English very well.....lol

Thats happened to me before :rolleyes:

but ya, Dell does have the best Tech Support, whether they all speak english or not.

(Though I personally would never buy one of those .....things. but thats just me)

Re: Re: Looking for a good pre-built PC with warrenty/tech support

pik4chu said:

That is THE funniest thing Ive heard all day :p

Thats happened to me before :rolleyes:

but ya, Dell does have the best Tech Support, whether they all speak english or not.

(Though I personally would never buy one of those .....things. but thats just me)

If it makes you feel any better, I work for Dell and I wouldn't buy one for myself either. Well, maybe a laptop. Or an Axim. But not a desktop. :)

On the other hand, my grandparents were looking for a computer a few months ago and I hooked them up with a pretty decent little Dimension 2350 package.

For a standard business use ( no gaming) desktop the 2350 is a great deal. I have purchased several for work for under $500 with monitor.

vonkaar said:
Isn't the 2350 Dell doing impressions of a Presario? Like... how badly can we build it?

LOL, he said it was for his grandparents. They don't care if it can't be upgraded or DIII can't be played on it...Doom I for that matter.

At age 100 (j/k probably 60-80) I doubt they do anything more demanding then turning the system on. At that point price takes precedence.

But hey, I'm working on him and trying to get him to join our ranks. He is interested in building a computer (unlike 99% of my friends) and I think he may just need a little shove. Otherwise I'd like to have what him and his wife ask for just in case I can't convince him of the virtues of overclocking.

Back