• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pressing multiple keys at once

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazysmartperson

Registered
some games require many buttons to be pressed simultaneously...however some buttons don't like to be pressed at the same time like "z", "x", and "c"...when they are pressed...they output nothing...even makes the computer beep...

what's the fix for this?...or is this just how i must live my life?...never being able to press those three keys at once

i've never been able to change it, just hope that whatever game i'm playing doesn't need that, and if it does, hope that it doesnt affect me much

Eh?? This is the first I've heard of something like this... Is your limitation only with certain keys, or any 3 at a time?

The keyboard and BIOS should be able to handle a minimum of three simultaneous keypresses (any three keys). If they can't, something is wrong with the design of the keyboard, the BIOS, or both.

The problem is with the way most keyboard matrices are implemented, there are rows and columns. Many keyboards have problems recognising more than one keypress in a row or column.

The columns are arranged down, like 1 Q A Z Alt the rows are across and are usually half the width of the main part of the keyboard, i.e. Tab Q W E R T Y.
So if you need to use multiple key combos in a game try and make sure you choose keys that will be in a different row or column.

I think on many keyboards the shift control and alt keys get special handling, that's why they were often used for game keys such as strafe, run or fire.

P.S. Gamepads are cheap :D

Road Warrior

bah...damn computer companies...they spend mucho money on making monitors flatter and cpus faster...but what they really need to do is create a better way to manage keypresses...cause...i personally would love to pound on the keyboard and not get the system beeps...

oops thingi, wrong section... ;)

and as RoadWarrior said, al in the design of how the keyboard circuitry is layed out, if all else failes gamepad time

yep i've noticed this too.. everytime I'm playing GTA3.. i try and drive, turn, and shoot at the same time then I end up running into a wall cause I drive and shoot.. but can't turn. My comp just beeps.. it's quite annoying sometimes.

hey lazerin...can you be more specific?...i mean...have you tried in any word processing program to press z, x, and c together and succesfully get it to show you zxc or some other combination?...

or could you play gtaiii, turn and shoot at the same time?

lazysmartperson said:
hey lazerin...can you be more specific?...i mean...have you tried in any word processing program to press z, x, and c together and succesfully get it to show you zxc or some other combination?...

or could you play gtaiii, turn and shoot at the same time?

Yep, I can sorta prove it here.

as (two buttons at once)
asd (3 buttons at once)
afds (4 buttons at once)

I've been playing Vice City for the last month or so and I haven't noticed any problems when riding the PCJ 600 and doing a wheelie while shooting to the side :D

EDIT: I notice you seem to focus on z,x,c so here's another set:

xz (2 buttons at once)
zcx (3 buttons at once)
zxcv (4 buttons at once)

I don't even get a beep when I press all four arrow keys together. I dunno whether this is a good or bad thing.

There was a keyboard that wasn't affected by that, but it was expensive and had a diode wired in series with each key. I saw another keyboard where this was an option that wasn't implemented.

There was a keyboard that wasn't affected by that, but it was expensive and had a diode wired in series with each key. I saw another keyboard where this was an option that wasn't implemented.

Back