• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4C is better then 2.4B, but what about

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genjix

Ok so I read from this board that 2.4C 800 Mhz is better then 2.4B 533 Mhz, but what about the 2.4 800 Mhz (without the C) ?
has anyone had successful overclocks?
I currently have a 2.53 533mhz chip and my friend offered to trade his 2.4 (not C) 800 mhz chip for my 2.53 chip. what do you guys think?

hmmm, I check newegg and I see 2 different ones.

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4GHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - OEM
Specifications:
CPU: 2.4GHz
Type: Pentium 4 Northwood
Cache: 512K
BUS: 800 Mhz
Socket: 478
OEM version Model#: RK80532PG056512 -OEM Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

then this one

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU: 2.4GHz
Type: Pentium 4 Northwood
Cache: 512K
BUS: 800 Mhz
Socket: 478
Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan)
3-year MFG. Warranty- Model#: BX80532PG2400D Special Free FedEx Saver Shipping

the one on top doesnt say "C" i guess the only difference is OEM?

It's a typo, all 2.4 800 bus CPUs are "C" processors. There were three 2.4 flavors... 2.4A/400, 2.4B/533, and 2.4C/800. All of these were available in retail box or OEM. The 2.4C OEM and retail are identical except the retail version comes with the Intel heatsink and fan, plus a 3 year warranty. The OEM is a bare CPU with usually only a 30 day warranty.

ok thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll take my friend up on the offer for the trade then.

Provided your board can take it it should be a heck of a deal if it OC's like the rest of them.

Yes, what mobo you planning on using? It won't make any sense if you don't install it on a Springdale or Canterwood chipset mobo. If you try to but it on a older mobo, it might not even run at default speed and certainly won't have dual channel DDR. Also, make sure it really says "800 MHz bus" on the CPU... perhaps your friend is confused and it's really a 400 bus CPU or something.

Yeah I'm planning to build him the computer and just ordered it from newegg. He said he would take my chip no problem because he doesnt care for overclocking.
and yeah, I would give him my old board and chip, and would buy another board. I guess I would have to start looking now, any suggestions?
EDIT** I meant the guy i'm trading rather see higher mhz as default .

Last edited:
Ok I just bought myself an abit board ic7 .. How does the dual channel ram work? i have to get 2 idendical sticks? or is there new ram out thats dual channel>?

**EDIT nevermind,.. i think i found my answer

It don't have to be special dual channel RAM, just two modules that are the same. In the Abit IC7, you put them in the same colored slots... which are either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.

Back