• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

433 celeron-help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wymjym

Hi,
I’m trying to help out one of my neighbors.
He has limited funds so price is everything.
He has a fully functioning, totally stable system. The only issue is that it is a celeron 433 (socket type). He has found that a lot of programs he uses are ‘slow’.
I cannot find any information on the system (one of those old ‘e’ type machines). But he bought it about 3~4 years ago. (maybe 4~5)
It has older edo memory.
I think that this cpu operates as 6.5 x 66fsb = 433.
Is there a simple cpu upgrade that we can do to improve his performance?
Thanks
wj

Yes, but it won't really gain much and is probably not worth the expense. But, it depends on what the mobo supports. If this is an E-Machine OEM computer, my guess is that the mobo is a socket 370 Celeron mobo that will only support the first generation Celerons up to 533 MHz (there was also a Coppermine FC-PGA Celly 533, so be careful). Unless you get the older version 500 or 533 Celly for free or dirt cheap, it's really not worth the money to upgrade, since it's a dead-end path. If by some miracle that mobo supports the later Coppermine FC-PGA CPUs, then by all means upgrade to something that's twice as fast (but I highly doubt it will).

thanks batboy,
I'm afraid it is the older unit...so he'll just have be happy with what he has.
wj

no just jumpin the fsb to 100 eh? dat sucks :( tell him to get a new 500 buck machine that'll **** kick that one.

he has 128mb ( 2 x 64). I spoke with him and he is resigned to using it as is until it is no longer reasonable to do so.
the real problem is:
it has integrated:
video
sound
nic
old style memory
an isa modem
basically there is nothing within that system that can be moved over to a new one...granted he can get a new system for 4~5hundred that will kick this one's butt....he is retired+medical bills...so it isn't going to happen anytime soon.
wj

A MSI socket 370 mobo that supports Tualatins and a Celeron 1.2 can be bought at newegg.com for less than $100. If you do some bargain hunting for a used mobo and CPU combo in the forum ads or eBay, you can find something cheaper yet.

A7N266 - $65
256mb pc2100 - $35
1800XP retail w/heatsink $56
56K modem - $11
Total = $167 + shipping.

OR

P4BGL-MX - $63
Celeron 2.0ghz - $65
256mb pc2100 - $35
56K modem - $11
Total = $174 + shipping.

Anything less won't be worth the money.