• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modding x-dream?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

i got my new x-dream, and when i tried to install it, i found that there are 3 obstructions that are keeping me from doing so. :(

pic of mobo:

obstructions.JPG

pic of x-dream problem areas:

cuts1.JPG

im thinking of just drilling out the areas on the x-dream that are problematic... any suggestions?:(

Yep. Only a thin layer on the core (or heatspreader for Intels) no matter what thermal compound you use.

Drilling would be kinda tough since the alterations would be made near edges. Grinding would probably be best. A dremel would easily keep the removal of material clean, but a normal hand grinder would get the job done.

About the thermal compound, it's off topic... but it is a tad too much:D.

Zoilo said:
Yep. Only a thin layer on the core (or heatspreader for Intels) no matter what thermal compound you use.

Run a credit card over the bottom to get all the extra thermal compound off.

i did a combination of drilling and grinding... drilled for the bigger ones, and drilled / grinded for the smaller ones... it fits, which is good, and now all i need to do is get my psu and case to get it running...

Back