• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My upgrade, need you guys!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Well this must be a curse! =/ Today has been one of the worst days in a loooong time...

My first message never got posted, or should I say my first LONG message...
Anyway...

I got myself a:
P4 2.6c ( All info @ home I remember it was Costa Rica )
IC7
2x256 RAM TwinMos CL2.5 PC 3200 ( can't get better )

I didn't have much time to test it though ( 15 min before I had to go to work )

I didn't format or anything just installed everything...

Didn't go well from begininng :( Can't get my Radeon 9700 Pro to get in with its AMD cooler =( PCI Slots are in the way....

Started rig with 250 FSB, 5:4 Mem, AGP/PCI locked. Got in in win run Prime for 1-2 min error.
More juice to booth RAM and CPU ( 2.7 / 1.6 )
Run it for 5 min than I rebooted it to try it higher....

260 FSB not even post. RAM 3:2, no go... More juice ( 1,65 no go ( not even post )

Then I had to go to work... I am at the work now and this is the probably the worst day here too, so I don't have much time ( Won't have lunch today, I'm writing this for 2:nd time )

It really looks bad right now =( I thought of updating BIOS when I get home but I don't thing it will help much... So how it looks right now I'm not even sure I can run @ 250 fsb.

Other thing is that I didn't saw any of those fancy RAM settings (aggresive, turbo and such ) but that won't matter much since I'm running 3:2 =( so the ram isn't problem. Looks like I maxed the chip and/or mo/bo. Don't think temps are problem they looked all right in BIOS, ( even if they were problem I would at least boot into Win )
I thought perhaps I need to burn in the chip or something... Is it possible or ??? And if yes how do you do it... I o/c CPU right out of the box, so i maybe destroyed something... I really don't know anymore, my day is going very bad so I hope you guys can help me... Any advices...
Anybody, anything....
Please!!!!
Larva guy, micamica other gurus, peeps....

The "fancy" RAM settings are not in the 1.0 BIOS version. Might as well flash to the new 1.4 version. As long as you didn't get crazy with voltage, I don't think you damaged anything. You might not wanna hear this, but 3.25 gig is an average overclock (admittedly a little on the lower end). I'd say average overclock speeds are 3.2 to 3.4 gig. Yes, some exceptional ones go considerably higher, but those are not average.

Check temps, relax the RAM timings, make sure you have the PCI/AGP setting fixed to default, etc. Maybe inprove cooling if your temps are a little high. Burning in the CPU just means running the CPU using a program to put a load on it at a little higher voltage for a while. Do not run the CPU hot, don't take the "burning" phrase literally. I used 1.6v when I broke mine in.

yeah batboys right u gotta take yer time, start off slower and work your way up, cause unfortunately u may have hit the limit of your cpu...

Things always look great in reviews don't they... If this was any other day I wouldn't take it so bad but today...
So this "burning in" can it help ? To run Prime on maximum stable FSB for some time and then try to get up it again.

This looks to be the most expensive "nothing" I have bought in my life.

You'll get final results later tonight when I get home!

Ummm, you got a 650 MHz overclock. That's pretty good. That's 650 MHz for free. Why are you mad? What did you expect? Overclocking is always a gamble. Make sure you have the PCI/AGP bus set to "fix". Burning in the CPU sometimes works and sometimes don't. What it usually does is to allow you to run the same O/C at slightly less voltage. Don't count on it significantly increasing your overclock.

Sorry for being such whiner before. But as I mentioned this wasn't best of my days.
Well I'm home and @ 250 FSB. Prime fails after 4 min but it could be cooling. I'll install my w/c tommorow first thing in the morning and hope it'll be of some help.

To be honest after reading a few reviews I expected a bit more. I could replace it but I won't. To remind me of my luck :)

Sure this o/c is a two eged sword. On one side you like your increase, on the other one you would like more...

Thank you for your time!

The trouble on this forum is the folks with exceptional overclocks like to brag a lot about their accomplishment. The folks that get mediocre overclocks usually don't say much. But I know what you mean, I try to be realistic when I get a new system, but I'm always wishing for a little more than what I get. Guess we're greedy.

Melhisedek,

try this.....

you said you got some pc3200 cas2.5.....
set your mem at cas3,4,4,8 or even more relaxed.
next set the memory at 2.8vdimm

I realy think your being held back by poor memory.
while your OC is still nice, I think you can do a little better as well as get a much more stable system.

if you see that you get alot more stability, then you will now know that better memory may then help you get alot higher.

good luck

mica

Back