• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd NIC Setup - What's Wrong With It?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sammy5gs

Hey All...

Dumb question - I am trying to setup a simple 2-computer network with file sharing and internet sharing (primarily). I have my main rig (Computer A) setup with cable modem service (through an NIC), and want to hook up Computer B to use this as well. Computer A is running WINXP Home, Comp. B is running Win98. Comp. B also has an unused NIC (w/mobo).

Now, as I see it, I have two options:

1) Router Setup (Cat5 from Comp. B to Router, Cat5 from Comp. A to Router, ISP to Router), and I just have to get my ISP to change my IP Address to the Router's IP Address.

2) 2nd NIC Card - I can place a 2nd NIC Card in Computer A, and hook up a Cat5 in between the NICs.

Now, I am favoring Option #2 since it would a) cost less money, and b) would not require me to contact my ISP, but I am worried about losing any speed and possible conflicts with my firewall, Zone Alarm Pro.

Bottomline, what are your thoughts on the problems with Option #2. If you guys can direct me to another thread/article that explains this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I have done both ways, I favour #1, but #2 is ok too, you'll only need a crossover cable & you'll have to setup ICS on the first computer "or a proxy".

Simple.

Go out and buy a linksys cable modem router. Connect modem to router. Connect computers to router. Turn everything on. It works.

No need to contact the ISP to change the IP Address.

Unless your ISP uses some wierd things...

Maybe I used the wrong terminology in IP Address. My ISP gives me a static IP, but what I am probably thinking about is the MAC address for each unit.

In option one you can change the mac address for the WAN port to match the mac address for the NIC which was connected to the Internet (I have done this with my linksys router).

For both solutions you will not lose any speed (unless you have a connection which is much faster then the broadband norm)

The only downside for the 2nd solution is that windows ICS is not very configurable (there are 3rd party solutions) as well as that computer has to be on whenever somebody on computer B wants to use the Internet.

Back