• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the safest temperature range for a P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tutrinh

What is the safe range temperature for afull loaded P4 2.53Ghz ?

I want to keep the CPU last at least 2-3 years.

thanks

try to keep load below 50c. Some mobos report temps higher then they actually are though. Abit is prone for that. Abit mobos usually report 10c-15c higher then usual. What mobo are you using?

i dont run CPU's over 45C 100% full load.
If you want stability in an overclocked CPU and want it to last, you shouldnt accept anything over 45C either....

That might mean you hvae to slightly downclock for the summer, but hey its the summer you should be outside anyways

roYal said:
try to keep load below 50c. Some mobos report temps higher then they actually are though. Abit is prone for that. Abit mobos usually report 10c-15c higher then usual. What mobo are you using?

I am using abit it7Max2
and even at stock speed , I will get full load over 45c.

probably cause you need a better case. My buddy just got a new asus board yesterday with a 1.8a and installed it into a stock case with no intakes and with the intel hsf. He got like 49c idle even with as3. Everything is about how you are cooling. Even if you have a lot of fans, it doesn't mean too much, because the case has still got to be engineered for the cooling to dissipate the heat from inside the case correctly.

Royal,
even though when I am doing prime95. The CPU is reading 61c and the case(motherboard temp) is 32c. I am using MBM to read these temp. I am using an Antec SX1000II steel case ( and it is the server case with 4 fans - 2 front and 2 rear)

The P-4 is fairly robust and can handle high temps pretty good for the short term (as long as the vcore is low). I'm not sure anyone knows how they will hold up long term at high temps. The lower the temps and the closer to default voltage you run, the better your system longevity will be. I would say if you can keep it below 50 degrees load CPU temp (or at least low 50's when you're really cranking), you'll be in great shape.

batboy said:
The P-4 is fairly robust and can handle high temps pretty good for the short term (as long as the vcore is low). I'm not sure anyone knows how they will hold up long term at high temps. The lower the temps and the closer to default voltage you run, the better your system longevity will be. I would say if you can keep it below 50 degrees load CPU temp (or at least low 50's when you're really cranking), you'll be in great shape.

Batboy,
as of now, I lower my CPU to default voltage and max out my overclocking without increase any voltages ( ie. @3.42Ghz right now ) and when it boot in windows idle temp is still like 47c ??? If the board sensor is reading wrong , then it would be like 39c and if that is the case , it is good for now.

Every setup will have different temps because there are so many variable factors to consider. I'm not certain about longevity of the P4's as well but i feel the same way as Batboy if you can keep your temps at low 50c at full load you will be fine.

What mobo is this? Abit are notorious for reporting temps that are a little higher than real. When you first boot, that's not really idle temp, nor is it load temp. The initial boot will spike the temps some. If your idle temps are truly 47 degrees, then that means you need better case cooling.

batboy said:
When you first boot, that's not really idle temp, nor is it load temp. The initial boot will spike the temps some.
How does booting spike the temps?

The initial boot has a series of diagnostic tests that run, among other things going on during boot. On every mobo I've owned, if I went immediately into the PC Health section and looked at temps, they would always settle back down to a lower reading after a couple minutes. If you want true idle temps, you must let the computer be idle for a few minutes. I usually time it for 5 minutes to allow the temps to stabilize.

Agree with Batboy.

System montoring reports 47C with my 2.4B @ 3.0 GHz just after boot; it settles down to 43-44 after a little while.

My ambient temps are 30C+.

Ok
Batboy, indeed, you are right temp cools off a bit if let it stay for 5-10 minutes. But here is the small test did this morning

Using CPU P4 2.53Ghz with Abit IT7MAX2 and Swiftech MCX4000 with a 120mm ( 4200RPM, 135CFM ) fan using and 80mm to 120mm fan adapter

Test 1
Stock voltage, stock speed
Idle 30c/44c
Loaded ( running torture test prime for 4 hours ) 34c/55c

Test 2
Stock voltage, Overclock speed to 3.39Ghz
Idle 30c/45c
Loaded 33c/58c

As you can see, it is not much difference from stock. Right off the bat, even at stock voltage and speed, the reading of the temperature is still a bit high to me.

What you do guys think?

Sounds like you have good cooling. Those Abit IT7 mobos do report a little higher temps than they should. Looks like you're ok to me. What are you using for case ventilation?

I use an Antec SX1000II which has 2 rear fan , 1 hard drive cage fan and 1 front ( but I didn't put the front in yet ) so 3 fan in my case right now

temps don't mean jack. as long as its not throttling its safe.

only thing you have to worry about with intel chips is staying at 1.7v or less or you start to get electron migration which will end up killing the chip.

my advice is to stay at or below 60 degrees with a p4 chip.

p4s are fairly bulletproof as long as the voltage is within recommended limits.

Maxvla said:
temps don't mean jack. as long as its not throttling its safe.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD (did I mention BAD yet) advice.

High temps will Kill your CPU alot sooner, and makes for an unstable system.

come on Maxvla, you know better than that. Telling people that (even more so for overclocking newbies) is going to have people kill thier CPU's

jAY said:

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD (did I mention BAD yet) advice.

High temps will Kill your CPU alot sooner, and makes for an unstable system.

come on Maxvla, you know better than that. Telling people that (even more so for overclocking newbies) is going to have people kill thier CPU's

Jay,
what do you think about my case
Is it in the safe range?

Back