• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to add parts of overfoldix into knoppix??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Just wondering if there could be a more robust version of overfoldix for someone who wants a dedicated diskless folder to also have a gui, office suite, browsers, etc...

I don't know how different debian is from mandrake on the inside, but it seems the scripts from overfoldix could be added into a customized knoppix cd, right?

I know it would up the ram requirements to 192 or even 256...

Last edited:
Shouldnt be too hard, just add in the client or a script to download it as well as the necessary scripts to start folding when the system boots.

This might be a nice little project for me, and something I can do to occupy my time while I have no internet access at home.

Arkaine23 said:
This might be a nice little project for me, and something I can do to occupy my time while I have no internet access at home.

I could have a shot at it if you want. But I am working a lot lately - I need the money - which doesnt leave much time for much else.

Same here, but I bet it'll be easy with overfoldix already so well-developed. All I'll really need to do is add some scripts to knoppix and turn it back into an ISO.

Does the most recent overfoldix have support for Samba? Would it be possible to share the stuff in a ramdrive? I think all you'd need is a script that lets the user select a hostname for the box and the NTdomain for pre-configged smb.conf.

Ideas are really flowing now. I'll try implement vnc and samba. Users can then control their overfoldix(knoppix) box with vnc from their main rig and monitor the client with EM3.

I've got a dozen little scripts written out to make controlling fah simple for a non-linux user. The simple ones come first so be patient. And these are rough since I'm not on a linux box right now, some are only partially complete...

foldon
foldon gromacs - I know you must have these in overfoldix already, although I could offer up a perl script that does some cool extra stuff though the system must have perl and awk installed for it to work.

foldstop- several possibilites here:

cd /folding
kill -15 $(ps -C $(ls *Core_*.exe) -o pid=)

Note: This is a "polite" termination (waiting FAH client and cores to finish their job) and if ps -ax should still show some cores running (newer cores may have this bug) then use a forced termination (no more waiting...):

cd /folding
kill -9 $(ps -C $(ls *Core_*.exe) -o pid=)

Attention! As FAH and Core different versions tend to respond differently to "killing" of these then it may be advisable to issue the same kind of "kill routines" to FAH client itself, too:

killall -15 FAH3Console-Linux.exe

and if it is still not dead (check it with "/sbin/pidof FAH3Console-Linux.exe") then:

killall -9 FAH3Console-Linux.exe

delete-

#!/bin/sh
$dir = /folding/directory
cd $dir
if $1 = wu
then
rm -rf work queue*
if $1 = cores
then rm fahcore_*
else
echo "Invalid argument. Correct useage is "delete wu" or "delete cores"
fi

viewlog-

#!/bin/sh
$dir = /folding/directory
cd $dir
more fahlog.txt | tail -5

cfgclient- think you already have this one

configsamba- This will have to echo a couple of questions to the user and then put their answers into the /etc/samba/smb.conf so they can set NTDomain, samba user, samba password... maybe a couple of other things... I've gotta check my own smb.conf to find out what needs to be unique and what can be standardized.

sambastart- "You may want samba to start automatically on boot. In that case, you should add the following to a rc file (I tend to use rc.local)." -Titan386
nmbd -D
smbd -D

Is $host a built-in variable or will I have to grab it out of the /etc/hostname? hmmm...

vncsmall
#!/bin/sh
vncserver -geometry 800x600 $host:1

vncmed
#!/bin/sh
vncserver -geometry 1024x768 $host:1

vnclarge
#!/bin/sh
vncserver -geometry 1280x1024 $host:1

vncstop

Last edited:
I know nothing about Samba and I havent really tinkered with Linux for a while.

If you can get some scripts done and give me a few pointers on how to set it up then I will add it to Overfoldix.

I'm learning more and more as I go. I'd be glad to offer up these little scripts for you David.

I think /home in knoppix is just sym-linked to the ramdrive, and that it could be shared with samba though I don't know what fs is used. The actual smb.conf and script for the user to run in order to name their workgroup should be pretty easy. I imagine a lot of user-customized knoppix configs just need to go into a floppy. But it'd be good to get it done with scripts instead unless the user winds up having to answer 20+ questions each time they boot-up.

I just stumbled on jollix which is a Gentoo-based bootable CD with Knoppix technology. Contains KDE 3.1.1a, games and multimedia applications (xmms, mplayer, xine). Optimized for Athlon-CPUs (but works on all i686 machines).

http://jollix.berlios.de/

I'll probably stick with a basic knoppix or someone's remaster that has "the right stuff" and then do a little remastering in order to get folding going. I should probably talk to the seti guys and see if they want to cook up their own scripts. I could put folding and seti on the same CD and just let the user start whichever one they want manually.

This is going to be kind of hard to figure out at first considering I get about an hour per day of time online in which I can do research. But I should have some scripts up shortly, and hopefully a beta version of Graphical 0verf0ld1x in a few weeks.

Okay....not sure if I was supposed to post in this thread or not, but since you have the deletewu and deletecores you may want to have a delete the queue also....and if it doesnt already delete the whole work folder than that too...

Nice job, sounds very nifty :D

Thanks for catching that! I'm working off the top of my head here. It does delete the whole work folder. It'd help if I had a linux box to look at, but I left my laptop at home. I might have that if statement done wrong for that matter....

Back