• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.6C Overclocking Results on IC7-G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokicat

After I exchanged my IS7 for an IC7-G, I now have the following overclocking results (1.4 BIOS):

FSB - 265

I'm pretty sure that my CPU is holding me back from any higher speeds.

CPU - 3.45 GHz

My 2.6C (6/11/03 Costa Rica Retail Box) ran 3.25 at stock voltages, but needed 1.6V to run at 3.45. I also briefly ran at 3.51 (270 FSB), but need 1.65V to run stable. The temps were too high at that speed for my comfort. Also noted that BIOS VCore settings were consistently .02-.03 V higher than what is reported by HW Monitor. Currently, it shows 1.58V.

Temps - 42 C idle 50 C load (20 C ambient, 26 C case)

Abit BIOS tends to give higher temps than other brands. From my H20 setup, my water block is 33 C at load. In my AMD setup, that equaled about 42 C CPU temp. Also interesting is the PWM temp is showing 40 C load on the IC7-G. On my previous IS7, the same PWM temp under similar conditions was 10-12 C higher.

Memory - 5:4 Ratio 212 MHz 2-2-3-6 @ 2.6 V GAT - Auto

The XMS memory has plenty of headroom left as I've run them up to 225 MHz on other systems. Of all the components I've purchased, the XMS memory has impressed me the most.

Testing - Prime95 24 hours and 8 hour loop of 3DMark2001

No failures. I tried 1.575 Vcore, but got failures after a couple hours.

Other Observations

I didn't mess with the NB cooler since I don't know of a better cooler that is designed for the IC7-G. I would usually replace the pink TIM junk with AS3, but decided against that since the 875/865 chips are bare die (like AMD CPUs). Interesting note is that the NB fan on my previous IS7 show 7K RPM and made quite a racket. On the IC7-G, the fan looks the same but runs at 6K RPM and is noticeably more quiet. Since my H20 system is pretty quiet to begin with, this makes a big difference for me.

Final Thoughts

This is the max overclocking for my comfort level. With better H20 cooling, I could probably get to 3.6 GHz, but would need around 1.7 VCore to do it. Since I am at the point of diminishing returns here, I don't think it's worth the extra 150 MHz.

I decided to get the 2.6C instead of 2.4C since my target CPU speed was 3.5 GHz. For the 2.4C, I would need to run a 3:2 memory ratio plus a 285-290 FSB. Since there are only a handful of reports of IC7-G running at > 275 FSB, I didn't want to press my luck.

batboy said:
That's a nice overclock for a 2.6C.

Check out this link for a nice northbridge cooling mod. I just got my Zalman chipset heatsink yesterday and plan on doing the mod this weekend before I setup my watercooling.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=200341

Thanks,

I saw that too. My concerns with this are:

1) How do you cut the legs off evenly so that the retaining ring is perfectly parallel to the base of the heat sink. If the ring is at a slight angle, the pressure on the NB die will not be even and may actually not contact the die.

2) What is the height of the Zalman base? If it is thinner than the original, then there will be less pressure/contact on the NB die.

3) The stock cooler has the foam frame on the bottom of the base. This protects the die from chipping as the cooler is being installed. I don't like the idea of crushing the die with another cooler that doesn't have this measure of protection.

I probably would have tried this on the IS7, but I would think twice before doing this to an IC7-G. Throwing away $200 is not my idea of fun.

1) Most people use a dremel tool. If you carefully grind the fins down to exactly the base of the heatsink, you'll be ok.

2) Since I'm at work, I don't know this off-hand, but the Zalman also connects using sliding push pins. I think the stock ring is mainly to retain the fan.

3) If you're careful, you have nothing to worry about. Most folks that crushed chip corners were using excessive force or being stupid. I've modded my old Abit TH7-II northbrdge cooler that had the foam frame. I removed the foam and lapped the heatsink, then reinstalled using AS3. I had no trouble. Just don't rock the heatsink when you're putting it on.

This ain't rocket science. We're just improving cooling. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then my advice is... don't. Your choice. The stock cooler seems to do a good job, I'm sure you'll be ok.

Hi there.... :)

1. Go and get a Thermaltake Tiger heatsink for the Northbrige(if you can find it somewhere)....Apply AS3 on North and on Tiger.....Tiger is the BEST for Intel North..... ;)

2. Try the new beta IC7_15 beta.BIN bios......I didn't have luck with the 14 bios.....I used the IC7_025.BIN(beta also).....Now I'm with IC7_15beta.BIN......

For MORE Overclockability , try to put into bios the Vagp at 1.65Volts.... ;)

hipro5 said:

1. Go and get a Thermaltake Tiger heatsink for the Northbrige(if you can find it somewhere)....Apply AS3 on North and on Tiger.....Tiger is the BEST for Intel North..... ;)

2. Try the new beta IC7_15 beta.BIN bios......I didn't have luck with the 14 bios.....I used the IC7_025.BIN(beta also).....Now I'm with IC7_15beta.BIN......

Very interesting product. I found it at Newegg for 4.99. I think that's a typo on the catalog since they give you a volume discount for 2 at $8.50 each. I figured what the heck, and ordered one. I don't see the need for it right now, but it certainly looks a lot better than the stock cooler. Thermaltake makes decent stuff.

Thanks for the tip! I may try the new beta BIOS. I'm more interested in seeing if I can get GAT working at 5:4 ratio. The current 1.4 BIOS does not boot when GAT is enabled with 5:4 memory ration.

lokicat said:
Interesting note is that the NB fan on my previous IS7 show 7K RPM and made quite a racket. On the IC7-G, the fan looks the same but runs at 6K RPM and is noticeably more quiet.

that's sick! i just orderd an ic7 and had no idea that fan spins at 6k...

hipro5 said:

I put one of these on my IC7-G. I had originally bought it for some Gigabyte 845 board a LONG time ago, but it dind't fit. But when I saw the mount on the IC7-G, I was like.. hey I think that will work on this board, and it did. However the Tiger that I had needed to be lapped badly because the base was very coarse and you could easily catch your nail on the ridges. So I spent about 20 minutes cleaning it up, with a little AS appliedit's all good. The fan is good and it runs just barely warm at 250fsb.

unixadm said:

I put one of these on my IC7-G. I had originally bought it for some Gigabyte 845 board a LONG time ago, but it dind't fit. But when I saw the mount on the IC7-G, I was like.. hey I think that will work on this board, and it did. However the Tiger that I had needed to be lapped badly because the base was very coarse and you could easily catch your nail on the ridges. So I spent about 20 minutes cleaning it up, with a little AS appliedit's all good. The fan is good and it runs just barely warm at 250fsb.

YES you're right about "lapping" it cos it's not well lapped......As a mater of fact , it's not lapped at all.....and if someone gets it , he has to remove the sticker from it's bottom side , lapp it , apply some AS3 and then place it on the North...... ;)

Back