• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desperate newbee needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LkyOldSun

ok, I did some research here, more research on other sites, (Search engine here needs 4 letter words, pci agp don't work) and still no answere. Here's the deal. I bought a PCI video card MX 440-SE 64 mb sdram (PNY) for $30 after rebate from FRY's, 10 days ago, so it's returnable for just a couple days still. I have a NF7-S w/ AGP 8X on the way, and barton too, and buffalo winmod chip 3200 ram. I don't play games anymore (no money + BAD addiction 4 me), and I just want to be able to OC (my new addiction and I haven't even built the cpu yet). Is this PCI video card gonna screw with my OC? FSB? Or would I be better off getting one of those:
Inno3D Tornado :GEFORCE4 MX440SE AGP 4X, 64MB SDR w/TV-OUT & VIDEO-OUT?
(link at bottom) or some other agp. PLease help, as I have gone from a newbee knowin nothin to a newbee knowin a little: by researching all frikin waking hours a day for the last 10 days. (mostly on MB, ram and cpu, cooling (I need a shower!!!). I just got into the vid. part because I started lookin at the video card I bought. Video's not important to me, as long as it doesn't screw my FSB/OC. Oh yeah, I'm poor, so I can't spend a lotta moola (hence the $30 card)

I guess, in short, I need a $30 video card that won't screw with my OC

Thank you so much in advance as I REALLY need the help!!! oh yeah, Link to thread w/ Inno3d: it doesn't have ddr as posted

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/3237-2.htm

Last edited:
the cartd shouldnt interfere with your fsb o/cing on the nf7-s, it lets you lock the agp bus speed, which in turn locks the pci speed, at whatever speed you want, lock it at 66, and all will be well my friend

TheGr8s1 said:
I doubt any card u choose would interfere with o/c'ing but MX440 is rather lacking in performance for such a great setup.
Unfortunately, after shelling out for the setup, my wallet performance is lacking. Any ideas on how to get something better for $40?

I feel so much better just knowing that my pci card, if I decide to keep it, will not screw with my OC. Even if it does drag my 3Dmark2K3 down a bunch, at least it will work.

LkyOldSun said:
(Search engine here needs 4 letter words, pci agp don't work) QUOTE]

pci*.........agp*........thats how you search for less than 4 letter words.

Well if your price range is really $30-40, I don't really think your going to find a better card then what you have in that price range. If I were you I would just keep that PCI card and later down the line get a better AGP one, if you want. Unless you find a AGP that also has a big rebate. I think the one you got was like $89 with a $50 rebate? I got one of those for my Bro a few months back from fry's. Same thing but a AGP not PCI, and it works perfect for him, he pretty much reads E-mail and uses Word.

it'll no doubt be the bottleneck in your system if you end up running a Barton is that system. If your running barton i would go with a 4200 at the very least if not a 9500pro. 8500s are best paired with 1gig-1-2gig processors. (i am counting a 2500+ as as above 2gig because of its pr rating)

If your lucky you'd be able to hit 400core/500mem on the GF4MX440.

Mine is stable right on up to 365/465, and could go higher with a better HSF, ramsinks probably wouldn't hurt either.

You are right, zabomb4163, I don't plan on my barton being less than 2 ghz for very long. Well, I'll have to look into the price of a 4200, as I am pretty sure that I cannot afford a 9500 right now. I might just have to stick with the $30 PCI for a "patch" and keep researching at a more leisure pace, and then I'll have a card to add a 2nd monitor, or a cheap card for a 2nd setup.
EDIT: it is my feeble understanding that even if I OC my video card, the PCI will be running slower than the video card, since it isn't an AGP?

if u do not game anymore...why do u need to spend extra money on a video card? do u do video editing or CAD type work? Because if not just stick with a cheap video card...if u can lock down the pci, agp bus speeds its not going to cause overclocking problems.

Yeah, I guess I should just keep the PCI card, and do a good deal of research and pick up a better card if/when I run into the need to do so later down the timeline. I will then be in a better position to know exactly what I want and need in a GPU and the bargain hunter in me will be able to find something that is a perfect match for a good price, insted of buying a card that isn't good enough, or has problems. Thanks a lot for all yer help, as tommorow, everything will have arrived an I will be puttin it all together! :D

Back