• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GEIL optimized for INTEL chipsets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

INGlewood78

Registered
I was informed in another forum that GEIL ram is optimized for INTEL CHIPSETS (i.e. i865, i875). On my Abit NF7-S, I have the dual channel PC3500 GEIL kit. It's advertised to run at 2-3-3-6 @ PC3500 speeds. The highest it runs is PC3200 speeds at those timings! So in order to get to PC3500 speeds, you have to loosen the timings. Does anyone know if theres any truth to this. If its true, isnt this crap called false advertising...All AMD users beware! and stay away from POS GEIL. I'm ****ed! :mad:

not sure for AMD, but i'm testing 2x 256MB GEIL PC3500 Ultra Dual channel sticks right now and running 217mhz 2-3-3-6 at 2.85v - max i can do at 2.85v is 220mhz 2-2-2-6 as GEIL sticks need the max vdimm you can give for best performance and that's around 2.9-3.1v .. me needs more vdimm!

this is on 2.4C with PX865PE PRO2 board

Last edited:
Never had a problem with my Geil Ultra Platinum PC3500 and my AMD 2100+ running Epox 8RDA+. Memory will run without errors in memtest86 up to 450mhz at 6-3-3-2 timings, running dual channel even. My 8RDA+ will not run that high stable though as it seems to top out at 208-210 FSB dual channel or 215 single channel, but the memory seems perfectly capable.

That's why Christina Mahoney uses Corsair XMS3200 RAM in her dual Britney machine.

INGlewood78 said:
I was informed in another forum that GEIL ram is optimized for INTEL CHIPSETS (i.e. i865, i875).

That's complete B.S. (Bovine Scat.)
The actual funciton of the memory is identical in each. And intel puts more demand on the memory at the same FSB. If you're stuck at 200fsb with this memory on AMD, you'd be stuck at about 190fsb with intel.

Ram timings arnt that important, just go the extra way with slack timings and more fsb...

star882 said:
That's why Christina Mahoney uses Corsair XMS3200 RAM in her dual Britney machine.

Shut up already! I have just searched for the words "Christina Mahoney" and its come up hundreds of times, and they are all you!!!

now now, no flaming, but does anyone know if we can change a setting to not see certain peoples posts???

back to geil, what vdimm are you using? alot of the newer speed modules require 2.8+ vdimm to work at spec'd speeds, and the mobo still defaulta to 2.5(afaik)

it's a joke and i beleive britney is a code name for a new CPU.

oh yeah fergot to answer.

Geil is hit or miss with AMD. like he said XMS is the way to go with AMD's.

Back