• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux and SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff7477

I am currently using a SATA setup and would like to install linux on here. The problem is that I would need someway to get linux to use the sata driver before installing like I need to do with windows. Will and distro allow this? Is anyone using sata on a linux box that knows how to get it done?

You don´t need a special driver since SATA ist logically compatible to normal PATA. Even if not, since you´re booting from it, normal BIOS calls have to work. This would mean you have a slow disk for installing (no busmastering) but that doesn´t really matter if it works. after installing you can get a proper kernel with the proper drivers (if they´re available)

The only scenarios you need a special driver for, is either when you use some form of RAID on your bootdisk (imho a bad idea, but that´s just me) or a scsi-adapter which is unsupported by a normal linux kernel. In that case you use initrd, also known as initial ramdisk.
It´s the initrd file on your bootdisk. There are howtos on how to create one yourself with your special drivers.

Back