• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Networking with 2 Computers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DF2Gadgetman

Registered
I have 2 computers running Windows XP. Both computers are connected to a Netgear RP614 Cable/Router. I've used the Network Wizard to automatically set up my network. I'm unsuccessfuly in sharing files and sharing printer services.

The setup that I used to use was, 2 NIC Cards on one computer and used a crossover connection Cat5 cable. Sharing files and printer worked like a charm. The only disadvantage was that the computer that was connected to the Internet and printer had to be on.

Gadgetman

Have you made sure that the sharing is allowed(turned on) for each drive or folder you want to share.

When I finally got both of my comps(my wifes and mine)running XP I set up my network, and for a while it was fine, thwn all of a sudden it wouldn't allow me to access folders. When I checked each folders propertys they were switched off of sharing without me knowing it.

p.s. I know it wasn't my wife, I have to tell here each time how to get files from the network to her computer:D

Don't forget to disable winXP's built in firewall as well. I think there's a security patch that turns it on by default.

While one machine is unable to communicate to the other machine, you can access the internet from both right?

Oops reread your post. Thought you were using 2 nic cards with your router, sorry.

As far as the wizard goes I personally find that configuring the settings manually is easier. When you don't know what a wizard is changing on you it makes it hard to figure out what has gone wrong.

You only need one Nic in each computer.

Set up the router with the computer name your cable service gave you. Connect each computer to the router. Don't forget to change the name of the computer that had the internet connection to something unique.

Turn on NetBIOS over IP in your network connections on both computers. Make sure Computer Browser is on too.

-Bobby

Yay! I'ts working

Thanks for all the help.

I reconfigured my router and use my Network Wizard, but this time I selected "This computer is connected to another computer on my network or through a residential gateway to the internet" and it worked!

Now I'm able to transfer files from one computer to another and sharing the printer functions.

Gadgetman

Back