• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD Copying on one IDE Cable or...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DF2Gadgetman

Registered
Hello all,

I was just looking at my Computer cable setup. This is what I have, ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. On the Primary IDE cable, all I have is my HD(Master) connected to it. On the Secondary IDE cable, I have my DVD (Master) and CDRW (Slave).

My question: Would my CD copying process be slower, than if I have my CDRW as a Slave on the Primary IDE cable? I would think that it would be slower because it's using one channel of the Primary IDE for read and write.

Gadgetman

I share the same ide with my dvd burner on with my CD-burnable drive. Ive heard of problems of slowdowns but i havn't seen any noticable efftect on my performance while doing a fast write copy from the dvd-rom to cd-burner.

Usually if your source is on a sperate cable then your Burner then your performance should be improved. Some cd creating software actaully will let you know that your source and recorder are on the same drive and that the performance will be handicapped.

Results you can compare

I didnt test how long the copying process lasted when both the source CD and destination CDRW were on the same IDE cable.

Here's my results on 2 different computers. On both computers I copied a disk at 52x speed using NERO 5.5.10.15 and Fast Copy on the Fly.

1. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe with AMD XP2800 2.114Ghz (169x12.5)
Corsair PC3200 DDR 512MB, Micro Advantage CDRW 52x24x52 (bought from Office Max because of a rebate).

Time: 2mins 19secs

2. ASUS A7V-266-E with AMD XP1800 1.621Ghz (141x11.5)
Infereon PC2100 512MB DDR, Lite ON 52x24x52 CDRW.

Time: 4mins 01secs

Gadgetman

probly the source speed would be my guess. One drive must be burning at something more akin to 40x. I have both my HDDs on the same channel and both opticals on the same channel simply because they cannot reach eachother otherwise-i might shift some stuff around and see what i can do but i doubt i will get it to be proper with the main hdd in pri master and the secondary optic in pri slave and the main optic in sec master and the secondary hdd in sec slave. There just isnt enogh reach between the ends.

P.S. As to not having enough reach-corret me if im worng-but it wouldnt work to have the short length between the mobo and the drive (wher the secondary is supposed to plug in) so instead of:
mob pri sec
|----------|----|

i would have
mob pri sec
|-----|----------|

This wouldnt work would it?

On a two position IDE cable the longest length goes from the motherboard header to the slave connector. The master is the one at the distant end.

Anyway, on my PC, I have both the DVD and CD-RW on my secondary IDE channel. I don't notice a perceptible difference from my old rig, which had them split across channels. I attribute this to the IDE bus having such a large overhead over the CD drives that, even if they share a channel, they still don't saturate the bus.

ok thanks for the info-where did i get the idea that the closest to mobo was master. O well. when using the jumper settings, not cable select will the wrong setup work though??

if you dont use CS then any master slave combo should work. CS is great if it doesnt matter what drive goes where, but I like to know how the configuration is set, plus it helps me maintain everything when I fix it.

Back