• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow shutdown Win2k with SP3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

I know it's caused by some of the installed hotfixes, and I remember a thread here some time ago about how to fix it. It involved changing some setting from '60' to '1' (somekind of timeout before shutdown is commenced) but I had to reinstall and can't remember anymore what it was, anyone?

No need to install any hotfix. Redduc900's method works perfectly, thanks!

"Here's a workaround for the slow shutdown in W2K that may work for you (at least until MS releases a fix for the problem)...Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc and hit OK | Expand the following branch:

Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Logon

Right click on the policy "Maximum retries to unload and update user profile", select "Properties"...and enable it (if it's disabled or not configured, the system will still repeat its attempts, once per sec., 60 times). Try setting it to 0....it still tries once, but you won't have to stare at "saving your settings" for 60 seconds or more any longer. "

Back