• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC + AIW 8500= right choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cack01

I'm am getting ready to build my HTPC, and I have ordered everything but the video card. I will be playing games on the HTPC, but function comes before performance on the HTPC front.

So far I am going to choose the AIW 8500. I looked at the 9000 version, but its looks to be the same only slower. Am I right on this. Is the function and software the same. The main reason I want to AIW is b/c of the Gemstar GUIDE Plus+™ software so I can set it to record programs when ever I want. Thus I am building a very expensive TIVO.

Have I chosen wisely? Can I use the Gemstar GUIDE Plus+™ software to emulate a TIVO.

also whats the difference in the DV and non DV models?

thanks cack01

Every AIW from the 7500 onward (7500, 9000, 9700, 9800) uses the newer Theater 200 chip and have a higher quality tuner. I believe the 8500 AIW's use the older Theater chip. The DV models have a Firewire port on the card.

Don't know much about the software, sorry on that one.

-Rav

Back