• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I've decided on Slackware.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny 2x4

Well, I currently have a dual-boot system with XP Pro and an older version of Mandrake. I am getting so f&*$%ng tired of these stupid XP bsod's and I don't really like mandrake that much, so I was looking for a different distro. I've used redhat before and was looking at either gentoo, suse, or slackware. I've decided on slackware (which I'm downloading now along with Knoppix-STD :D). I hope you guys will be able to help me with any questions :D

Slackware isnt very newb oriented, so if you are not too strong in linux i would recommend shying away from slackware. I ran slack 8 with a custom kernel for awhile but i switched to mandrake cause things are just so much more user friendly. Thats my 2 cents. I'de go w/suse

If you've had some prior Linux experience, which you've had, I think you'll be able to manage Slack. It was the second distro I installed (after Red Hat), and I was able to get through it.

I know there are several users here that used Slack relatively early in their Linux careers, and it helped them learn a lot. Unlike distros like Red Hat, there aren't many GUI configuration tools. The advantage to this is that you learn skills that are applicable to almost any Linux distro.

There is plenty of documentation at the Slackware website and also on the install disk if you run into trouble.

I'm not, by any means, a linux guru. I hope I'm not making a bad desicion :D

I pretty much started with Slackware, and have been using it for 3 years now. Though many say that Slackware isn't a noob distro I disagree, unless your a noob who doesn't want to read and/or figure things out. If that's the case then get something that will give you a totally mouse based install and configuration. Otherwise, have fun slacking.

Thanks for the input moorcito, I really appreciate it. I am definently looking forward to the install (hopefully sometime tonight or tomorrow). Heh, you've gotta prepare for these things.

Back