• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help With ATI card Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goodie

I just got my laptop and I figured I would try a game on it. I Installed Unreal 2 and I get lots of weird stuff going on in the game.

here is a pic of in game. as you'll see it's really messed up bad.
www.ironsphere.net/Developers/Goodie/render.jpg

This is the error I get when the game tries to load the next mission right after the movie scene from above.
www.ironsphere.net/Developers/Goodie/error.jpg

My game crashed at that error and I have not been able to go any further into the game. The game is Store bought and has the latest up to date patch installed as well.

My System is a Dell Inspiron 8500
Intel 2.0 GHZ Cpu
1 Gig Ram
Raedon 9000 mobile Vid Card

I have the latest Vid drivers installed for it from the Dell Site.
all I can figure is that from this being a Protection Fault the game was trying to write something in memory at one location but there was already something there so I get this protection error. good to have , but a pain cuz I wanna play.

Any of you guys have any Idea whats going on with it?

hrmmmmm. Well i turned down all the graphic settings to the lowest and I still get the same error. Im really lost on this one. I have had things like this happen before, but I fix it. This time I just cant figure it out. This is my First and maybe the last Raedon card I ever buy. I always said the driver support sucked and this is just one thing that proves that point....

"I have the latest Vid drivers installed for it from the Dell Site." Try the mobile drivers from ATI, not dell, dell only puts out the new drivers if it fixes a big problem, a problem NOT to do with games, go to ATI and get them, it should fix your problem.

schismspeak said:
"I have the latest Vid drivers installed for it from the Dell Site." Try the mobile drivers from ATI, not dell, dell only puts out the new drivers if it fixes a big problem, a problem NOT to do with games, go to ATI and get them, it should fix your problem.

I went to ATI but it tells you to go to dell. Can you post a link to the mobile drivers. This is my first ATI card and I can really seem to find anything on their site. thx

You can try a program like rage3d tweak or something else that allows you to change directx settings. I'm not sure how much it can help you but its worth a shot.

Ok, now I don't only get the Page Fault errors, which Dell Support Blames on Microsoft XP Pro and not their laptop, but I also have the LCD Display on this laptop starting to go after a mere 1 week in mt hands, grrrrrr. When the screen shakes from typeing on the keyboard I get this Ripple wave effect across the screen, damnit!!!!! Guess now I'm going to have to call Dell and get a new laptop sent. This stupid thing cost $5000 so they better just give me a new one!!!

I would recommend returning the laptop for a replacement. Also personaly Id question the idea of anyone buying a laptop for gaming, they just are not up to it. If you insist on gaming with a laptop I would think buying one from Alienware "built for it" like the Area51-m would be the way to go. It costs half of the price you paid Dell and you would have support for gaming from Alienware. Dell laptops are great for business work, I use one myself, but I would never bother trying to game with it....

http://www.alienware.com/system_pages/area-51m.aspx

Last edited:
I can't return it. It was bought for me and was 100% free. All my other games run great on this, I even game online with a wireless 802.11b D-Link Air Plus wireless router and it all works great. Just Unreal 2 that won't run.

As for my Screen problem, well I just got a call back about it and Dell is sending a person to my house to replace the LCD for free. YAY!!!!!

Thx for the replys though guys :D

Back