• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok I was wondering what is the differance between a 2ghz xeon with 512KB cache and a P4 512KB cache that is running at 2ghz? I mean in all reality could the 2ghz xeon be any faster for number crunching?

Isn't the Xeon a 64-bit processor versus the 32-bit processing of the P4?

Well whatever. Pick a xeon that is the same speed as a P4 that has HT and then what? Same processor? I know a guy that runs quad P4's so it is possible.

He writes code a lot. But for little programs here and there. But he is running quad pentium 4's. He has them watercooled. One pump on each pair. 1gig of ram. Nice system.

Pentium 4s are SMP disabled and the 3.06GHz P4B and all P4Cs (I think) have Hyperthreading available.

Pentium 4 Xeons (called just plain 'Xeons') have SMP enabled for 2-way (dual CPU) operation. Xeon MPs have SMP enabled for 2-way or 4-way SMP operation (quad system). Xeons based on the Prestonia core have hyperthreading enabled, AFAIK the older 'Foster' Xeons do not have hyperthreading.

David said:
Pentium 4s are SMP disabled and the 3.06GHz P4B and all P4Cs (I think) have Hyperthreading available.

Pentium 4 Xeons (called just plain 'Xeons') have SMP enabled for 2-way (dual CPU) operation. Xeon MPs have SMP enabled for 2-way or 4-way SMP operation (quad system). Xeons based on the Prestonia core have hyperthreading enabled, AFAIK the older 'Foster' Xeons do not have hyperthreading.

Except for a few engineering samples foster was never really released

Back