• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not fully booting up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Huan

Registered
I restarted my computer running win2k and left the room.. Came back in and it appeared as if it was just still in the boot process.. Which was a tad odd, but I figured okay.. Well.. After the initial spash screen loaded up (( the blue bars filled up as well )) I noticed this quick flash of a blue screen with txt at the upper left screen as it reboots.. I saw a glimps of "stop" and some other comments.

So, I naturally, decided to try restarting again, with the same results.. So I tried safemode.. Same deal.. Then I took out the sound card, tried it.. No go, then network card.. Still probs as well as the memory and even the video card.. Swapped hard drives and it actually let me read the screen when it turned blue this time.. It mentioned that perhaps theres a problem with my controllers on my board, or maybe I have a virus etc yada..

I took the drive in question and ran a scan on it on another computer.. Found nothing.. Fact, I even copied some of my files from the computer in questions harddrive to another drive for backup purposes.. So i'm guessing the HD itself is cool..

I'm using the onboard controller on my mainboard for my drives.. So.. I"m guessing the controller gave in and fried, or maybe something else is up.. I thought i'd post whats going on on here and see if any of you have experienced this oddness personally before or not.. The only other thing I havent swapped out is my power supply for another.. Which I very well may do tomorrow morning (( or later today I should say ))

Any suggestions? Besides getting to the point alot quicker on any future post :p

My setup is as follows:
--------
MSI K7T266 Pro2 mainboard
AMD athlon xp 1700+ cpu
512 Crucial DDR ram,
Hercules GF2 64mb ddr video card
seagate HD 20.0gig
AOC lcd monitor
sbl pre 5.1 sound card
lynksys nic.
Antec 350watt psu
lite-on cd-rom 48x

Running win2k as my operating system.

Again, I'd appreciate any suggestions even if i've already tried them, I may give it a second look to double check if in doubt.

You didn't say if you were overclocked or not. If so, try it at stock settings. That stop msg is probably a good sign that the file system is hosed.

I figured someone would ask that.. I'm not OC'd on this setup.. Never tried it either.

If the filesystem is hosed,, It would only be on the one HD though wouldn't it? Cause I did try another HD on the same setup and same results (( it had win2k installed, just different drivers for different cards ))

Ah, i didn't see that part about trying a different HD. It's late here :)

Did it just start doing this all the sudden from a clean working system? I'm not going to be much help here, gotta get up and goto work in 4 hours. Ignore me....

Yeah, the only thing i've noticed in the past month was some slight hesitation when I open apps and what not.. So I figured it was time for a clean install etc.. Its been about 3 weeks sense my format/installation.. And I haven't noticed any probs at all until when I restarted today.. Now the goofy thing just refuses to get past the splash screen with all the above grunts I mentioned in my first post.

/sigh another siphon for my wallet it appears.. I may have to get by on my p3 setup running at 450 mhz lol.. Damn this is gonna be rough.

If, I were to buy a hard drive controller and install it and disable the onboard controller would this work? Would anyone even recommend trying this?

Back